Leaking Pipe

Jun 5, 2016
mahopac, ny
I have Hayward super pump for my in ground pool and I just noticed today that the PVC pipe that's connected to it is spitting out a decent amount of water where the two join. I wrapped it several times with plumbers tape and used a hose clamp to tighten it up. It did slow down the leak a lot but not 100%. Any suggestions? This is only my second year with the pool so I'm still learning.

If it is a threaded connection, it will need to be taken apart, have pipe sealant (teflon tape, pipe dope, etc) re-applied and then re-assembled. There is no way you can seal a leak like that without taking it apart. Pictures will help us here if you can post some.

Hard to tell from the pic and with the Teflon tape wrap, but that just looks like one male adapter screwed into the pump outlet with the PVC glued into it. In any case, if the part is beginning to fail, you'll want to replace that soon. With all that pressure on the outlet side, you don't want to take a chance on it rupturing when you're away from home. Here's on example of a possible replacement type: Hayward 2 Slip, Union, Flush Wg (sp14983s) - INYOPools.com
. There are many others. I would call first to ensure something like this is the exact match/fit for your pump.

Do you have any plumbing skills at all? This is not a plumber job for someone who is DIY handy. But if you have never worked with PVC before, I wouldn't make this my first attempt. Threaded fittings can sometimes be tough to get sealed. IN any event, if you do try it yourself- do not use Teflon tape. Use pipe dope with teflon instead. Less chance of over tightening and splitting a fitting.

BTW- Teflon tape on the outside of a threaded fitting really doesn't do anything. It has to be on the physical threads inside the fitting to stop leaks.

Only water from pipe above the pump will drain, it should be minimal. From your picture it looks like only the pipe between the pump and filter will drain and not the filter itself. Provided your pump is above the pool level then no water would be forced through the pump inlet. Your setup may have valves on the inlet/outlet that you could use, but generally it is not an issue.

To further clarify, when you clean out the pump basket strainer (remove the clear plastic lid) does a lot of water come out? If not, then this would be no different.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you don't mind, post another picture zoomed out a little ways so we can see the best way to put it back together. That pipe eventually goes to the filter I presume. Between the threaded fitting and the elbow there is limited space for a repair coupling there. It would probably be easier to add a union behind the elbow (not pictured) so if your first repair leaks you can try again without re-cutting the pipe.

The only thing that could really go wrong is messing up the threads on the pump itself and that is very unlikely. Hard part could removing the existing threaded fitting from the pump, but it will come out with a little persistence.

I'm contorting my head all I can and I still can't make it out. Another picture of that pipe would be great.

The hardware store should have everything you need. From the Super Pump manual (https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/SuperPump.pdf):
Plumbing
Use Teflon tape to seal threaded connections on molded plastic components. All plastic fittings must be new or thoroughly cleaned before use. NOTE - Do NOT use Plumber’s Pipe Dope as it may cause cracking of the plastic components. When applying Teflon tape to plastic threads, wrap the entire threaded portion of the male fitting with one to two layers of tape. Wind the tape clockwise as you face the open end of the fitting, beginning at the end of the fitting. The pump suction and outlet ports have molded-in thread stops. Do NOT attempt to force hose connector fitting past this stop. It is only necessary to tighten fittings enough to prevent leakage. Tighten fitting by hand and then use a tool to engage fitting an additional 1 ½ turns. Use care when using Teflon tape as friction is reduced considerably; do NOT over-tighten fitting or you may cause damage. If leaks occur, remove connector, clean off old Teflon tape, re-wrap with one to two additional layers of Teflon tape, and re-install connector.

I had a similar issue, and for a quick fix I took a PVC coupling and cut it in half, with one of the halves just narrow enough to fit in that gap. Then cut that piece in half the other way into two half circles. You can PVC glue the two half circles on either side of the leaking area, trying to cover the exact point where it is leaking out completely. Then wrap the whole thing in self fusing silicone tape.

I think the other part you are referring to is a PVC union, which allows you to easily open up the PVC plumbing.

That actually looks like a union already! By turning the large middle nut on it counter clockwise those two pipes will separate. This good because it means you likely don't have to cut any pipe. Potentially bad, as it could mean they had attempted repairs on the threads before. But at any rate, it definitely simplifies your work now. Turn off the pump, loosen the union nut all the way off then you can attempt to unscrew the pipe from the pump. All you need for the repair is some Teflon tape and a stiff, but small brush, similar to a tooth brush. You can use the brush to remove as much of the old Teflon from both the threaded fitting and the pump. Then just thread it all back together.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm contorting my head all I can and I still can't make it out. Another picture of that pipe would be great.

The hardware store should have everything you need. From the Super Pump manual (https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/SuperPump.pdf):
Plumbing
Use Teflon tape to seal threaded connections on molded plastic components. All plastic fittings must be new or thoroughly cleaned before use. NOTE - Do NOT use Plumber’s Pipe Dope as it may cause cracking of the plastic components. When applying Teflon tape to plastic threads, wrap the entire threaded portion of the male fitting with one to two layers of tape. Wind the tape clockwise as you face the open end of the fitting, beginning at the end of the fitting. The pump suction and outlet ports have molded-in thread stops. Do NOT attempt to force hose connector fitting past this stop. It is only necessary to tighten fittings enough to prevent leakage. Tighten fitting by hand and then use a tool to engage fitting an additional 1 ½ turns. Use care when using Teflon tape as friction is reduced considerably; do NOT over-tighten fitting or you may cause damage. If leaks occur, remove connector, clean off old Teflon tape, re-wrap with one to two additional layers of Teflon tape, and re-install connector.

That's exactly the opposite of what I have been taught and what every plumber I have ever know has stated about using tape vs dope on threaded fittings.

Regardless, I would uncouple at the union, replumb with new elbow and PVC and use the teflon tape per the hayward instructions. And for $168- this is one I would definitely DIY - or at least attempt to. Even if you have to attempt it multiple times, with that union there, you can afford to. PVC and fittings are pretty cheap. It's hard to explain, but you want the threaded fitting into the pump tight, but not TOO tight. It's easy to go gorilla style on them when tightening them up and over torque them and crack something. Good and tight by hand (without tools) will usually do it.

Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.