Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trying to keep my pool from catching a cold -Vitamin C TFP Salute

1. Back To Top    #1

Trying to keep my pool from catching a cold -Vitamin C TFP Salute

Bought a bottle of Vitamin C to test on my steps and it was wiping stains away so easy I decided to pour some pills in a sock and try it on my vertical sidewalls and it worked so well I kept going until the 75F water was getting to me.
    I know Ascorbic acid treatments will do the job "right before your eyes" but I was trying to experiment with a way to use contact removal.

What do you think of my chimpanzee foot writing?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    30k in ground vinyl lined pool surrounded by decking in the woods.
    Hayward sand filter circa mid 80's
    If there is a way to do things less expensively and yield a superior product I am all ears

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trying to keep my pool from catching a cold -Vitamin C TFP Salute

Took me a bit to find the writing, but I like it
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Had to get a new hose and leaf net so bounced my numbers against the pool store, the mail lady delivered my new reagents as I was leaving the house
    This is after 250 1000mg AA tablets
    My numbers
    pH: 7.2
    FC: 3
    CC:0
    CH: 225
    TA: 100
    CYA: 25-30

Pool store:
    pH: 7.4
    FC: 2.5
    CC 0.16
    CH: 196
    TA:102
    Copper:0
    Iron:0

I grabbed two more bottles on Vitamin C(AA) for direct treatment so total dosage in the pool has been ~1.6lbs of AA
    After I was done noted a white turbidity, checked water and had near no FC
    pH 7.2
    FC: 0.5
    cc:0
    TA: 80
    CYA: 25-30

TA loss probably due to the AA. I've never seen CC in my history with this kit.
    So I dosed 3/4gal 10% target 4FC
    Saw .5-1 CC for ~3hrs
    Things finally settled after remaining 1/4 gallon of bleach at 4FC, 0CC

Did I break up some iron/copper fixing bacteria?
    If there is a way to do things less expensively and yield a superior product I am all ears

4. Back To Top    #4

Not that I've ever heard of, but somebody has to be first. Nice work on your pool! Love the TFP! I'm guessing you don't want to leave it there though.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Probably just remaining AA that the FC was breaking down. I did an AA treatment last year and the FC & CC acted much the same.
    12,000gal Fiberglass In Ground, Pentair 1hp single speed pump, and Pentair 100sq/ft single cartridge filter. Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Roof mounted 400ft solar heat loop, Zodiac MX8 Elite cleaner w/leaf canister
    Taylor K-2006-C, Speed Stir, Taylor K-1766 salt test

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Sidecarist View Post
    Probably just remaining AA that the FC was breaking down. I did an AA treatment last year and the FC & CC acted much the same.
    Yeah I had read in a couple of the threads that it consumed FC, but never saw an increase in CC numbers.

My FC was .5 when I got home from work CC 0, another gallon of 10% set me at 4.5FC with CC 0
    I did notice some fine white/gray precipitate collecting in the deep end seams so vacuumed that to waste.

I'll check again after circulating for bit, water is back to near clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

An update:
    Last night maintained 4.5FC

Got home from work
    FC: <.5
    CC: 0
    pH: 7.2-7.5 (shade between)
    TA: 80-90
    CYA:30

gallon of 10% brought me to FC 5, CC 0
    No stains have reappeared without sequestrant, water is crystal clear. But I possibly have a leak, I noticed I vacuumed up a piece of silicone more than likely from around the steps. Checking that against a bucket.

I'd love to do an OCLT but work schedule is not permitting this week.

8. Back To Top    #8

So today Thursday afternoon I finally have 2.5 FC 0CC upon initial afternoon testing.
    ~72hrs for the AA to equalize with the small amount of Vitamin C tablets I used ~1.6lbs , 3 gallons of bleach consumed.

I bumped up to 5FC.
    Did some research today to see if I can test iron accurately with my Hach DR2700 analyzer and pillow pads seem fairly reasonable. Unfortunately samples need to have pH lowered drastically for longer term(shipping) analysis or I'd offer the services here for the website's benefit.

9. Back To Top    #9

Basod, 1.3 lbs is still a fair amount

Re home iron testing...lamotte changed their iron test strips to be instant...not sure they're fine enough.

But for consumer use, I suspect this meter might not be bad...thinking about getting one
    Iron CheckerĀ® HC - HI721 - Hanna Instruments

Of course, at $50, it won't be near as good as yours
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

10. Back To Top    #10

Swampwoman Resolution to .01 ppm is pretty good for an instrument of that $ range.

I think part of the drawback to any of these tests is they fail to measure irons oxidized by sequestrants, or for that matter if they would measure FE bonded to AA.

If you do buy one, I wonder if a few drops of nitric acid would interfere with the test - that's what the Hach manual recommends for total iron sample conditioning.

From personal experience these stains appear and get extremely dark on/inside return fittings. I typically clean the eyeballs in a bit of MA
    It's bit of a reverse of a phenomenon I've dealt with in the boiler industry with Flow accelerated corrosion - google it if interested

I'm thinking a velocity induced aeration onto a substrate that mimics pvc returns could be a way to capture some of the iron and allow it to return to the pool under gravity

11. Back To Top    #11

I've actually been reading little bits here and there from water and waste industries on this front. That led me to an alum floc experiment in a 5 gal bucket on my raw well water, which tests around 2 ppm iron. Took it down to .1 ppm

I'm going to do a second bucket test on pool water to see if I can get the same kinda reduction after oxidization to break down the sequestrant.

Alum isn't practical in the day-to-day, (produces too much sulphate, etc.) but an annual alum floc at the right ph and vac'd to waste might be a decent treatment for well-dwellers to get a dual reduction in high phosphates (from breakdown of constant sequestering) AND the iron that necessitates the sequester.

A rig that mimics aeration/filtration might be another handy iron mgmt strategy for those who've oxidized it by mistake or intent. 2 household 10" Pentax filter housings connected with a 5 micron then 1 micron filter seem to help filter iron out so I wonder if the velocity of a pump assists if same were used for re circulation instead of just the hose on top up.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

12. Back To Top    #12

Swampwoman I've read through some of your iron battles
    This is an interesting link http://www.purewaterproducts.com/art...aeration-facts
    They obviously sell aerator tanks and post filters, the chemistry principle is all the same. You need to aerate the water to allow oxygen to bind with the FE ions in suspension to create rust molecules that can then be filtered.

Have you ever tried running your spray hose on fine mist into a bucket of pillow fill, drill a hole in side of bucket and let water drain into pool.
    I've seen some characters on youtube with pillow fill setups, but their water is obviously saturated with insoluble iron - and I have no idea why their liners aren't stained, more than likely nothing else in the pool is chemically balanced.
    I have a full 7days off next week and plan on running a small test setup of side stream filtration, using a homemade venturi .
    Hope this thing works - want to save folks some money on sequestrant

13. Back To Top    #13

I'm bumping this after starting to see some lines on pool steps and the liner.
    I did NOT add sequestrants during any of these tests.
    pH rose from7.2- ~7.5-7.6 from rain without any measurable TA loss(80-90)
    FC kept in the 2.5-4.5 range.

I messed around with building a polyfill bucket including a venturi that I can't make work due to supply& back pressure restrictions -I won't get into the physics of it
    Try some more tests tomorrow, but ultimately a side stream aeration venturi + series filtration should work like it does in whole home iron filter systems.