SLAMing questions

Jun 4, 2016
Belford. NJ
I just ordered the TF100 test kit and should be expecting it June 14. I have a few questions.

I've read that a whole lot of people used bleach to SLAM the pool, and swear by it to maintain FC levels. However I've got maybe 3/4 of a crate of Power Powder Plus and I don't want to spend $100+ straight off on bleach for SLAMing if I don't need to. Is Power Powder an effective substitute for bleach? Also, should I be SLAMing my pool after I get my test kit so I can effectively monitor chemical levels after the SLAM is complete or can I do it in the meanwhile without risk?

I want to move away from chlorine tablets and start using bleach because, as I've read, the tablets can raise CYA levels and that might be a problem I can't detect yet. I've got a floater with all veins open with two tablets inside and it's doing practically nothing to help the FC level. It could be anything and I'm willing to wait until I get my kit and some professional advice to get the right answer, but my hypothesis is the raised CYA from chlorine tablets. That said, if I switch to bleach, I want to know as much as I can so I can get as few problems as I can while I do it. How often/every how many days do I have to dump bleach to maintain proper FC? Is there a best % concentration? Any other tips?

Sorry if these seem like rookie questions. I'm still getting the hang of TFPC and unlearning the big bads I was taught by pool companies/stores ("put chlorine in your skimmers to maintain FC, it's safe" is one of those :S ), and I'm afraid of screwing up even more... Thanks!

HI

Great that you ordered the TF-100.

The reason we suggest bleach is because all other dry forms of chlorine add "something else" to your water. As you've discovered, the pucks add CYA and the product you mention adds calcium. It doesn't mean you can't use it to slam per se, but you'll want to know your CH level in order to confirm you wouldn't be elevating it too high to cause other problems like scaling. It sounds like you've been reading a bit and are understanding. I'd say if that product is still returnable keep it in returnable form (unopened) if you can until you get your test kit.

You see? It's all about understanding the effects of different chemicals and additions. No stupid questions here :)

Edit

I didn't address you other questions about how often to add bleach. Sorry I was focusing on the cal-hypo part.

I'd suspect daily. But I have SWG so I am only using bleach during SLAM. Daily maintence and checking over time will tell you if it's an everyday addition or every other day addition. And that will and can change depending on the weather (lots of hot sun) or heavy bather load.

Maybe someone with more experience on maintenance with bleach can chime in on that one.

Let's wait until you get your test kit and can test your CH.

Every form of dry chlorine is stabilized by something.......either CYA or calcium. The product you mentioned is calcium (it's cal hypo..... Calcium hypochlorite)

Both CYA and calcium are not consumed in any way......the only way to eliminate them is by draining. They each come with their separate set of problems if used for maintaining chlorine long term which is the reason for the bleach/liquid chlorine recommendations you see on this forum.

Hang tight until you get your test kit.

Ah okay. I was meaning to use the Power Po- uh, cal hypo bags since they worked well in the past for shocking the pool and killing off all the algae, but I didn't know any side effects and I'm still unaware of anything more than that it raises CYA. Thanks for the advice! I think I'll make a thread once I get my kit to get advice on starting up the SLAM process.

The cal-hypo adds calcium.......not CYA.

It's about understanding what your own levels are and what the products you are adding do to your chemistry.

The cal-hyp may be ok if your CH is low.

Ugh sorry, I had to google that, now I get it.

Also, would it be a good idea if I turn off my pump for the roughly two weeks it'll take to get my test kit? I'm not going to be adding any chemicals to the pool and it's already green so I feel like it'll be a waste of money to keep it running.

Hi Pearl,
AimeeH is spot on with her advice.

With your pool already green, my advice would be to add 1 gallon of bleach every day until your test kit arrives.
This may help your pool from getting any more green than it already is.

If your DE filter has a "bypass" on the valve, set it on bypass so your filter doesnt clog up so quickly.

Let your pump run probably an hour after adding the bleach.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.