Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer question

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer question

Ok so I have a pro series pool. Just installed a new intex 2100 gph pump/filter. I drilled out the bottom of my skimmer to accommodate 1.5" pvc. Now I have a slight leak in the bottomorning of my skimmer. Maybe hole just a little too big? Don't know for sure. Just know I am getting a drip about every 3 seconds. My question is, is there anyway I can cover that hole up with something and make another hole or do you think I will have to buy a new skimmer? Also, do all skimmer holes match?

I did pit Teflon around the male threaded adapter and even put. Little silicone around the inside and outside of the skimmer. Used rubber gasket material 1/16" thick on inside and out. Also used a metal lock ringo on the threads to keep everything tight.
    Charles
    Coleman 16'x48"
    Intex 2100 GPH pump & Sand filter, Intex Robot Vacuum
    Hayward Wide Mouth Skimmer
    TF-100 Test Kit Magnetic Speed Stirer

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Skimmer question

Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

thank you for the information. do you think i can fill the hole in and recut, or just put this stuff around the male adapter?
    Charles
    Coleman 16'x48"

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

hmmm, try to fix the adapter first and if all else fails
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

5. Back To Top    #5

i was just looking if i had to replace the skimmer housing it is $38. but then i still have to do the alterations to the housing. I was thinking of just replacing the whole housing with maybe a Hayward skimmer. i cannot seem to find the measurements. I know my proseries skimmer housing is 6 3/8" tall X 7" wide. if i were to just buy a Hayward skimmer like this one Hayward SP1091LX Skimmer with Accessory Kit for Above Ground Pools would it go over my existing opening and cover the screw holes with gasket and make new holes? just thinking ahead in case i cannot get this one to stop leaking.
    Charles
    Coleman 16'x48"

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

this one is what I have and it is 13.5" wide x 7.5" tall so it would work great
    Amazon.com : Hayward SP1091WM Dyna-Skim Above-Ground Pool Skimmer Kit : Swimming Pool Skimmers : Patio, Lawn Garden

7. Back To Top    #7

So that would mean I would have to cut liner?
    Charles
    Coleman 16'x48"

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

yep, its not hard at all, the first pick is how mine started out

9. Back To Top    #9

is that a pro series pool? looks like one because my liner looks just like that. i might just go with the new skimmer route that way my i can hard plumb straight into the bottom with any modification. don't these skimmers hook straight up to the intex fittings?
    Charles
    Coleman 16'x48"

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

it has a standard 1.5 inch fitting in the bottom, I do not think intex will connect straight to it but they do have an adapter I think

11. Back To Top    #11

yes i have made a couple of those adapters for the Intex fittings. i got part of pool hard plumbed. just waiting to do the return this weekend.
    Charles
    Coleman 16'x48"