Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward H200FDN Natural Gas Heater - Ignition Failure (IF) Code.

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward H200FDN Natural Gas Heater - Ignition Failure (IF) Code.

Just opened up my pool.. Filled it up and tried starting up the heater.. I opened both the shutoff valves, one at the heater and the other at the supply line.. Set the temp, heard it fire up, and then I went about my business...

About and hour or so later I notice I don't hear it.. Go over and it has IF code on it.. Unplug it, plug it back in.. It does the same thing.. Appears to run for about 30-60 seconds the initial time and then shuts off.. Tries like 3-4 other times but doesn't run as long those times and then shoots the error..

I get nervous around gas appliances so wanted to get advice before trying anything.. I'm good at following directions, as long as they are specific.. I purchased the heater last year (May 2015).. Have had no issues until now.

From the manual:

Video of issue (didn't record the initial firing where it runs for about 60 seconds). You can hear it click on, hear the gas, and then see smoke / exhaust (??):

Hayward H200FDN - YouTube

Any help would be greatly appreciated..
    Installed in 2014 - 24' Round x 54" Bliss XL Above Ground Pool 14,090 gallons // Hayward S270T Pro Series 27-Inch 350lb Sand Filter // Hayward SP15922S Power-Flo Matrix Above-Ground Pump 2-Speed //
    Installed in 2015 - Hayward H200FDN Natural Guess Heater // K-2006 Test Kit
    Youngstown, OH 44514

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Hayward H200FDN Natural Gas Heater - Ignition Failure (IF) Code.

Hearing the unit fire up and run for a very brief time and then go out and do this a few more times and then display the IF code, it's your flame sensor. It is not sensing that the unit lit.

Was this video done somewhat early in the am maybe when it was cooler and wet outside? Noticed the exhaust and seems like some steam coming from the unit.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm no heater expert, but I'm pretty sure it should not be smoking like that. Have you pulled the cover off the back to see if there is any debris drug in by nesting rodents? That is a pretty common problem with heaters.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies.. The smoke/steam/whatever smells like gas fumes. I remember it doing this last year sometimes too. It did just get done pouring here.

I took the top piece off and the side with the vents and there was nothing there.

I also took out the sensor and it looked completely clean to me:

I took another video after doing all that:

Heater Part 2 - YouTube

Installed in 2014 - 24' Round x 54" Bliss XL Above Ground Pool 14,090 gallons // Hayward S270T Pro Series 27-Inch 350lb Sand Filter // Hayward SP15922S Power-Flo Matrix Above-Ground Pump 2-Speed //
    Youngstown, OH 44514

5. Back To Top    #5

Well it magically is working now... We'll see if it continues to work..
    Youngstown, OH 44514

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Give that flame sensor a good scrubbing with steel wool. It is not as clean as you think it is. The Millivolt current that flows thru it is very small and any tarnish will cause poor conductivity. Don't use sandpaper as the silicons in some paper will insulate it
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump