New Pool-Iron???

Jun 5, 2016
Howell, MI
We just set up our pool this weekend. Not a large pool, 14' by 42". We hooked it directly to our well pump so the softener didn't burn up filling it. It's a yucky brown, which we are assuming is iron??

We've been told to try 10 different things. We've added some chlorine. My husband is taking a sample up right now to a pool store to see what they say.

Until he gets back...any ideas??

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

While the iron is in the water, run the filter to try to filter the iron out. There are a few threads you can search for about using batting or paper towels in the skimmer to try to remove the iron.

I hope your husband does not buy a bunch of their magic potions.

It's a hole along the waterline that usually has a basket so that it can suck in floating debris and strain it.

Skimmer-Swimming-Pool.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
HTH makes basic drop-test kits sold at places like Wal-Mart which are okay for short-term drop-testing pH, chlorine not to exceed 5 ppm, and sometimes TA, CH, and CYA. But those kits have limitations and won't test FC over 5 ppm which you may need later. I would ask you to consider the TF-100 (link below) to ensure 100% control of your testing and what your water needs. You might also consider the "Speed Stir" for quick & accurate mixing. It helps quite a bit.

Here's some info on metals and what your options might be:
Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.