pH level keeps going up ever since having pool replastered

Jul 20, 2014
Berks County, PA
Hi,

I expected this for the first season and over the winter following replastering, but this is the 3rd season and I still can't keep it down. I had checked it over the winter a few times before the pool froze and added acid several times, but some time between the freeze and spring start up (last week) the pH must have gone through the roof. The color on my taylor test kit was a really dark purple - I'm guessing probably even up to 9. It took many additions of acid to bring it down, but it seems to go right back up again. The other issue is that I developed some scale over the winter and so, not thinking to check on compatibility first, I went ahead and ordered 2 quarts of Bioguard Scale Inhibitor. THEN I find out that it is not compatible with my biguanide pool, so I have 2 quarts of the stuff that I no idea what to do with. I was told to use SoftSwim Stain Control instead (even though the primary purpose for this is to treat or prevent metal staining).

In talking to BioGuard, I was told that the plaster can still continue to generate high pH even after 2-3 years of replastering, so I guess that's the situation I'm running into. Hopefully it'll settle down soon.

I assume the forum does not have a buy / sell feature, since I'd be happy to list the Scale Inhibitor!

Thanks,
Keith

Post the last few test results. It is important to manage your CSI, especially in a high/rising PH pool. To prevent scale keep CSI between 0 and -0.3. Poolmath will calculate your CSI for you, tweak PH and TA to adjust. CH, salt and borate also impacts CSI. Properly managed CSI can add a decade to your plaster life, or shorten just as much.

More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling

You can sell stuff in the coffee bar.

Thanks for replies. I might just try listing my unused / unneeded chemicals in the coffee bar!

Here are my recent results as requested:

pH - between 7.5 - 8+
TA - 110 - 120
CH - 210 - 220

No water features or aeration, no chlorine levels since I use biguanide

Some folks here can help you punt that biguanide whenever you're ready.

High TA and high PH are not great for pools. Keep lowering your PH to 7.2 when it gets above 7.8 and that will slowly bring down your TA. Or you can actively lower it following this, Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity. Keep your PH at 7.8 or lower at all times. TA down in the 60-80 range is better

Raise CH to 250 ppm, more here, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Some folks here can help you punt that biguanide whenever you're ready.

High TA and high PH are not great for pools. Keep lowering your PH to 7.2 when it gets above 7.8 and that will slowly bring down your TA. Or you can actively lower it following this, Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity. Keep your PH at 7.8 or lower at all times. TA down in the 60-80 range is better

Raise CH to 250 ppm, more here, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

I thought 80-120 was the preferred range for TA? And anything over 200 for CH?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.