PH drops fast

May 15, 2015
Atlanta-GA-
Hi

I am wondering why my PH drops fast. I test my pool weekly. All numbers are fine but my PH which drops every week to 7.0 or below, so I add the amount of borax needed per the pool calculator but it still drops back to 7.0 the following week. I didn't have that problem last year. My FC is 5 and my CC is 0 to 0.5, TA is 70 and CYA is 75.

Thxs

Pat

Tablets are very acidic so that is what is causing your pH drop. People who use tablets should keep their TA above 100 to help offset that particular problem. Just an FYI as well, your minimum FC level should be 6 and will need to continue to rise with your CYA. You will probably want to do a partial drain soon to keep your CYA level from getting too unreasonable.

When I ran out I will use bleach.
A much better plan would be to immediately stop their use and switch to liquid chlorine. The pucks don't go bad and you can use them for vacations, etc.

Saving money by using the pucks may cost you a heck ofd a lot more. Your CYA is already much too high and you will quickly be at 100+ by the end of the season. Your pool pretty much becomes unmanageable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.