Chlorine Lock,Algae, Cloudy

Mctwist937

Jun 5, 2016
Orange, CT
Hello I am new to pools just bought a house with one last fall. I am in CT (see sig for details). I got a crash course last fall trying to check all the equipment and learn about chems, mostly going through leslies and paying a TON of money.

I was away this spring so i opened late. pool was very green. i have since used their green to clean and superchlorinated twice (with their system of 3 lbs of shock 12 hours apart for 36 hours. it got much better but it still slightly green, i cant get any free chlorine to stay, and it is obviously cloudy as well.

I made the stupid mistake of going to leslies pool store every day and wasting $1000 over time. I only currently have a 3 chem test kit (taylor), but i have a K2006 coming in the mail already. I will post what i have so far for numbers. hopefully someone can get my started with those numbers. The kit seems like its going to be a week or two.

My readings from pool store -

FAC - 0 (same with home kit)
TAC - 7.5 (maxed out at 5 with home kit)
CH - 290
CYA - 30
TA - 100
pH - 7.4 (i got 7.2 with taylor residential 3 chem drop test)
TDS - 1000

I would say pool color is cloud blue with a slight green or tan tinge to it which seems like it if from the floating solids or the solids on the bottom which i have not yet vacuumed.

Thanks for the help

:wave:Hello welcome to TFP

Sorry you didn't find us before the pool store experience but with a good test kit on the way, you are already on track to taking control of your pool.

Chlorine lock really isn't a thing. It's a term the pool store may use when they've run out of excuses er um I meant explanations.

While you wait for your test kit keep reading in pool school the links below should get you started. You also would probably be safe to add a gallon of bleach a day while you wait. And brush brush brush.

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Welcome to TFP!

:wave:Hello welcome to TFP

Sorry you didn't find us before the pool store experience but with a good test kit on the way, you are already on track to taking control of your pool.

Chlorine lock really isn't a thing. It's a term the pool store may use when they've run out of excuses er um I meant explanations.

While you wait for your test kit keep reading in pool school the links below should get you started. You also would probably be safe to add a gallon of bleach a day while you wait. And brush brush brush.

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

:goodpost:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.