Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine Lock,Algae, Cloudy

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine Lock,Algae, Cloudy

Hello I am new to pools just bought a house with one last fall. I am in CT (see sig for details). I got a crash course last fall trying to check all the equipment and learn about chems, mostly going through leslies and paying a TON of money.

I was away this spring so i opened late. pool was very green. i have since used their green to clean and superchlorinated twice (with their system of 3 lbs of shock 12 hours apart for 36 hours. it got much better but it still slightly green, i cant get any free chlorine to stay, and it is obviously cloudy as well.

I made the stupid mistake of going to leslies pool store every day and wasting $1000 over time. I only currently have a 3 chem test kit (taylor), but i have a K2006 coming in the mail already. I will post what i have so far for numbers. hopefully someone can get my started with those numbers. The kit seems like its going to be a week or two.

My readings from pool store -

FAC - 0 (same with home kit)
    TAC - 7.5 (maxed out at 5 with home kit)
    CH - 290
    CYA - 30
    TA - 100
    pH - 7.4 (i got 7.2 with taylor residential 3 chem drop test)
    TDS - 1000

I would say pool color is cloud blue with a slight green or tan tinge to it which seems like it if from the floating solids or the solids on the bottom which i have not yet vacuumed.

Thanks for the help
    MY FIRST SEASON WITH A POOL - TFP SAVED MY LIFE
    21,000 Gallon Vinyl IGP (16*34.5*7.5) -- K-2006 Test Kit with a Speed Stir
    Hayward 1HP "Superpump" w/ Hayward S-200 High Rate Sand Filter, Checked in fall 2015
    3 Returns, no Main Drain -- Blue Wave Magni-Clear Solar Cover -- Mesh Winter Cover

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Chlorine Lock,Algae, Cloudy

Hello welcome to TFP

Sorry you didn't find us before the pool store experience but with a good test kit on the way, you are already on track to taking control of your pool.

Chlorine lock really isn't a thing. It's a term the pool store may use when they've run out of excuses er um I meant explanations.

While you wait for your test kit keep reading in pool school the links below should get you started. You also would probably be safe to add a gallon of bleach a day while you wait. And brush brush brush.

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Chlorine Lock,Algae, Cloudy

Welcome to TFP!

Quote Originally Posted by AimeeH View Post
    Hello welcome to TFP

Sorry you didn't find us before the pool store experience but with a good test kit on the way, you are already on track to taking control of your pool.

Chlorine lock really isn't a thing. It's a term the pool store may use when they've run out of excuses er um I meant explanations.

While you wait for your test kit keep reading in pool school the links below should get you started. You also would probably be safe to add a gallon of bleach a day while you wait. And brush brush brush.

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach