Water Still Cloudy After Slam

EddieO

May 5, 2012
Crestwood Ky
Last week I removed my pool cover from my 30 ft. round pool. The water was green. I shocked the pool with bleach. 2 days later the water was still green so I added more bleach and dichlor. The next morning, the green was gone. From my deck it looked like a perfect pool. When I walk on the deck and look at the water, the blue sky reflects from it but it appears the water has fine white particles about half way down. I've kept my pump running and continue to add bleach. I've kept the FC level around 17 for about 3 days.
I tested the water last night with these results: FC 9.0 CC 1.5 PH 7 CYA 25-30.

I've dumped about 15 jugs of bleach into this pool. I'm almost at the point of using the chlorine tabs again.

Do I need to wait for a while for the filter to make the water clear? What say you?

Eddie

Eddie, with a CC of 1.5 that means there still something growing in the water. When you say you've shocked are you following the SLAM process and maintaining your FC in relation to your CYA level? using tabs is your choice but will cause you more problems in the long run. What is your filter pressure running? Have you deep cleaned your filter?

You know you've completed a successful SLAM WHEN...
1. CC IS .5 or below
2. Water is clear
3. You've passed the OCLT....

What test kit are you using?

I shocked the pool with bleach. 2 days later the water was still green so I added more bleach and dichlor.

Your problem may lie within those two sentences.

I know when I am in SLAM, I start with a PH of 7.2 and I monitor the water as often as possible, keeping it at SLAM as consistently as possible while in SLAM. Multiple tests throughout the day to make sure I am at the appropriate level for my numbers. While I am doing that I also, vac, sweep, and watch the psi. It's a pretty constant vigil. The less consistency I am able to have the longer I know it will take. That's not a faulty method issue, that's a life getting in the way issue and delaying things a bit.

Not sure where you are located but for SLAM your CYA was sitting nicely so try and avoid the Dichlor; bleach is all you need. Not sure about your PH. You should start SLAM, as I understand it and if I am wrong an expert will correct this, at 7.2. When I SLAM my PH is 7.2 and then I don't check that until after the process.

Something else to consider, sand filters (which I definitely prefer) can take a bit of time to clear the fines. I have an IG up North with a DE filter. I much prefer sand. I believe everyone on my lane runs DE. If a person walked this lane and looked at the pools between this method and the sand filter I have no doubt if they could pick one pool to enter there would be no need to think, no debate, they would be in my water. Sometimes with a sand filter a little extra patience is necessary. Before you get to that point though, following the SLAM procedure, every step of the way and being on it as much as you are able to with the monitoring will get you to the later part of being worried about the tiny bit of remaining fines for that extra pop of sparkle everyone here achieves when they follow the procedure based on their current situation.

You will be able to clear that pool (and have a much beefier wallet) if you methodically follow the steps and have a little bit of patience. It does work. Mixing of methods is discouraged ~ This is just one of those things where you have to fully commit to to get the results everyone cheers about when they achieve. Those results are not achieved by mixing methods.

Someone will be in here shortly with their proven advice to get you on the right track. Best of Luck.

Your problem may lie within those two sentences.

I know when I am in SLAM, I start with a PH of 7.2 and I monitor the water as often as possible, keeping it at SLAM as consistently as possible while in SLAM. Multiple tests throughout the day to make sure I am at the appropriate level for my numbers. While I am doing that I also, vac, sweep, and watch the psi. It's a pretty constant vigil. The less consistency I am able to have the longer I know it will take. That's not a faulty method issue, that's a life getting in the way issue and delaying things a bit.

Not sure where you are located but for SLAM your CYA was sitting nicely so try and avoid the Dichlor; bleach is all you need. Not sure about your PH. You should start SLAM, as I understand it and if I am wrong an expert will correct this, at 7.2. When I SLAM my PH is 7.2 and then I don't check that until after the process.

Something else to consider, sand filters (which I definitely prefer) can take a bit of time to clear the fines. I have an IG up North with a DE filter. I much prefer sand. I believe everyone on my lane runs DE. If a person walked this lane and looked at the pools between this method and the sand filter I have no doubt if they could pick one pool to enter there would be no need to think, no debate, they would be in my water. Sometimes with a sand filter a little extra patience is necessary. Before you get to that point though, following the SLAM procedure, every step of the way and being on it as much as you are able to with the monitoring will get you to the later part of being worried about the tiny bit of remaining fines for that extra pop of sparkle everyone here achieves when they follow the procedure based on their current situation.

You will be able to clear that pool (and have a much beefier wallet) if you methodically follow the steps and have a little bit of patience. It does work. Mixing of methods is discouraged ~ This is just one of those things where you have to fully commit to to get the results everyone cheers about when they achieve. Those results are not achieved by mixing methods.

Someone will be in here shortly with their proven advice to get you on the right track. Best of Luck.
:goodpost:

The problem, Eddie, is that this is a cage match to the death between you and algae. You hit it hard and knocked it down and walked away and let it get back up. Then you hit it again and walked away and now you're wondering why it's getting back up. What you need to do is hit it hard and knock it down and kick it until it's dead.

That death match is called a SLAM Process The only similarity it has to what the pool store calls "shocking" is high chlorine levels. The pool store clerk will have you blast it once with a megadose of chlorine and is waiting by his cash register for you to be back in another week or two. The SLAM is a sustained effort.

People have dealt with much worse than your pool, I'm sure. Check out some of these threads if you need some inspiration. Do what they did.

Reactions: Cathy9887
Start now. You may be able to get three or four adjustments back to shock level before bed.

Remember to brush once a day.

If you could update your profile with your location it helps us give better advice.

Reactions: Joeysin16
I have to SLAM when I open (have one heck of a time keeping this pool covered in the winter because of its location). Once I start, I go for it. Throughout the process it's full blazing sun, rain, wind knocking stuff from the trees in ~ the works.

With the sun though now is a good time to get an accurate CYA reading (test with the sun to your back) use that as your starting number.
Get you PH where it needs to be: 7.2 or a smidge more. Rain could possibly lower your PH a bit so if nothing else start in the safe zone.
Debris Free the pool: If you can see it remove it, leaves, tree droppings, anything that has sunk.
When you power up the filter get your reading, as you'll be watching that to know when to backwash. I believe that's a 25% increase in PSI that determines that.

Get all of that sorted ~ like I have explained to my daughter, that's the foundation of the work in progress and a foundation always needs to be solid for the work to be successful.

Then let it rip.

The fresh numbers you have plug into the calculator and dose accordingly. It's important when you start to test throughout, you don't want to fall out of SLAM. Ideally you watch it throughout, but with work and life, sometimes you cannot maintain a constant vigil, do the best you can. When I SLAM and have to go into the office I sometimes throw a bit of caution the wind and goose just a wee bit, if numbers from the days prior have told me that the Algae is an eating machine. YOu can worry about that after you start and see what your numbers tell you.

The water will speak to you throughout this process, you just have to tune-in with your test kit results to hear it. The numbers get you through every step of this process. Bob and weave with whatever it tosses at you. With the test results, calculator and supplies you can handle anything it throws at you. And you will have to have a bit of patience. The more time you are able to dedicate to it the quicker you will get through SLAM. I brush frequently as well. I hate brushing the walls but to speed things along I brush the dang walls.

Best of Luck please keep the forum posted as you go. It's nice to have confirmations along the way and everything you are doing now helps someone else walking the same path.

Initially when you start, it most likely will take more that 2 additions in a 24 hour period to keep in SLAM
You want to keep it in SLAM as consistently as possible and excess bleach doesn't speed the process.

You are looking to always stay ahead in the fight and persistent monitoring and reacting to the results is what keeps you ahead and will be the reason you eventually win; passing all 3 criteria and finally being able to allow your water to drift out of SLAM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK I just put enough bleach into my pool to make the FC go to 12, which is shock level for 30 CYA. Before I did this, I noticed that I could barely see the bottom of the pool for the first time in a week. Before I dumped the bleach in, I tested it again: FC 7.0 CC 1.5 PH 7.2 CYA 30.

I'll check again tonight and I'll keep you posted.

Eddie

Check it again before you go to bed. All you need to test from this point in is FC. Whatever it is, add enough FC to get it back up to 12.....14 would be OK for overnight. Check and do the same thing in the morning. Keep SLAMmin!!

Brush it once a day if you can too, the brush, the brush has special powers and I feel like it really keeps things moving along. I always check my numbers about 15 minutes or so after a good scrub a dub dub and hope I have to top off. When I have to top off post scrub ~ I feel like I pulled something over on them ~ it really is a war.

Please do not stop this until pass the 3 criteria.
Once you have passed all 3 you can then enjoy trouble free water and allow the waters to settle into their Non SLAM zone.

I promise you here before too long you will see the bottom of the pool in a way you or anyone else who has looked has ever seen it before :D

It's a very unique feeling of accomplishment. (Your chest is going to puff up, watch and see)

Pssttt: Check it in the morning if you can too and dose her back up.

A few possibilities
Testing error once or both times
Water wasn't fully mixed once or both times
Pool size isn't accurate in Poolmath
Bleach percentage isn't correct in Poolmath
Somebody snuck in your yard and added some extra bleach for you. Thanks! :)

Ok guys and girls, last night I tested my water at the 10ml mark. FC was 13.5. This morning I just tested it the same way. 13.5. Water is 90% clear. Bottom is very visible. I still see some fine white particles floating. CC is .5.
Am I done slamming?

Eddie

Ok guys and girls, last night I tested my water at the 10ml mark. FC was 13.5. This morning I just tested it the same way. 13.5. Water is 90% clear. Bottom is very visible. I still see some fine white particles floating. CC is .5.
Am I done slamming?

Eddie
No, water clears the last hurdle to get over. 90% doesn't count.

Keep adjusting back to shock level and keep the filter running 24/7. Now is the time with a sand filter to,add a little DE powder or cellulose fiber DE replacement powder to enhance the filters abilities to catch the fines in the water.

This is where people who end up having to re-SLAM fail. They stop just a little too soon. Make sure it's all dead.

You are closing in on it, but keep on keeping on. Stopping short will end up blowing up in your face and you'll have to SLAM again.
I know if I do mine properly at the beginning of the season, and then test each evening and top up, I don't have to go into SLAM again for the season.
This is where having just a wee bit of patience seals the deal and puts you on easy street. It's also where you start receiving the water compliments and people start to think you and an H2O Hero and stuff :D
Sometimes I pretend my towel is my cape ;)

Follow it through.

:goodpost:

The problem, Eddie, is that this is a cage match to the death between you and algae. You hit it hard and knocked it down and walked away and let it get back up. Then you hit it again and walked away and now you're wondering why it's getting back up. What you need to do is hit it hard and knock it down and kick it until it's dead.

That death match is called a SLAM Process The only similarity it has to what the pool store calls "shocking" is high chlorine levels. The pool store clerk will have you blast it once with a megadose of chlorine and is waiting by his cash register for you to be back in another week or two. The SLAM is a sustained effort.

People have dealt with much worse than your pool, I'm sure. Check out some of these threads if you need some inspiration. Do what they did.
I absolutely LOVE the cage match comparison!!! It really is perfect. Made me (actually) audibly laugh... though, maybe not so much "out loud". Haha. ;-)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.