Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: out at the theater

1. Back To Top    #1

out at the theater

We built a 16 feet x 9 ft outdoor theater to watch while we're swimming. We use a jvc 4k projector and the planters are actually speaker housings. Complimented with phone controlled led lighting everywhere. Anybody else watching movies and swimming?

- - - Updated - - -

More photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: out at the theater

That is awesome, what screen are you using?
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks!! We ordered a large piece of black out cloth for 115.00 and works great. Here is the website if anybody else is thinking of doing this Blackout Cloth Projector Screen Material. Really durable. I used 2x4 to frame it stapled it and then trimmed it with moulding. It has been out there screwed to the garage for over a year and still looks new.

4. Back To Top    #4

Very nice! Can you post a few daytime photos to get a better feel for how you have this set up?

5. Back To Top    #5

Oh lol absolutely..Haha that actually might help bahaha
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

-Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

7. Back To Top    #7

Awesome Brian!! That looks fun I bet they are having a blast!!

8. Back To Top    #8

Very awesome. I do it with a screen that's base snaps together in about 15 minutes. Im considering going to inflatable for ease. But for now it works great:

18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

what are you using to house the projector itself or are you dragging it back in and out?
    Pool Type: In Ground, Liner. Shape: Free form/kidney
    Size: 32,000 gallons
    Filter/Pump: Brand new (2016) DE Hayward 4820 / Brand new (2016) Pentair VST 2
    Heater: Yes (older)
    Location: NJ. No tree/leaves overhead. Limited shrubs near/over waterfall feature

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

I only set mine out when it's getting used. With my hellions running around, it would be in the pool in no time or completely fried from the sun.
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by bdavis466 View Post
    I only set mine out when it's getting used. With my hellions running around, it would be in the pool in no time or completely fried from the sun.
    hmm... i am still looking for the proper solution to have a TV by the pool with no overhang/shade.

Yes, I can buy a junky tv and replace it every year.,...but its not going to last a single rain if I don't have it covered in something.
    No, Im not going to buy one of those $1k rainboxes because they are insane and no i am not buying a super expensive sunbrite tv
    I have a giant projector screen (extra, don't ask) and a projector, but I can't leave a screen just standing (not to mention wind concerns) and I'd have to still drag the projector back and forth.

i really wish there was an affordable solution to my needs! At this point, I feel like I need to build a cabana, just to have a tv!
    Location: NJ. No tree/leaves overhead. Limited shrubs near/over waterfall feature

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

You could build a cabana for the TV, basically a waterproof box around it with doors to open when you wanted to watch TV

something like this Shutter TV Wall Cabinet | Ballard Designs
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

13. Back To Top    #13

When I dont want to drag out the giant screen and projector for the kids (we only use it 3 or 4 times a summer) we use the tv mounted on the house. With one of those weather proof boxes. Its called The TV Shield. For the 50" TV it was $600.
    Not cheap and nothing special but its pretty nice and well built.

All i had to do after getting it all put together and mounted was re-route the power. I do like it a lot for hanging out day to day, but nothing beats the 160" projector screen from the pool

18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    You could build a cabana for the TV, basically a waterproof box around it with doors to open when you wanted to watch TV

something like this Shutter TV Wall Cabinet | Ballard Designs

i could, but that would imply I have somewhere to hang it. Basically I want something to be either mounted from the ground or somehow come up from the ground over my waterfalls.

i dont really have anything to mount it against!Attachment 50741

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mitch08 View Post
    When I dont want to drag out the giant screen and projector for the kids (we only use it 3 or 4 times a summer) we use the tv mounted on the house. With one of those weather proof boxes. Its called The TV Shield. For the 50" TV it was $600.
    Not cheap and nothing special but its pretty nice and well built.

All i had to do after getting it all put together and mounted was re-route the power. I do like it a lot for hanging out day to day, but nothing beats the 160" projector screen from the pool

come on dude, time to take off the energy guide sticker :P

15. Back To Top    #15

come on dude, time to take off the energy guide sticker :P
    That's funny. If I took it off, nobody would know how green I am
    That was the first day I had it up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ionizer View Post
    hmm... i am still looking for the proper solution to have a TV by the pool with no overhang/shade.

Yes, I can buy a junky tv and replace it every year.,...but its not going to last a single rain if I don't have it covered in something.
    No, Im not going to buy one of those $1k rainboxes because they are insane and no i am not buying a super expensive sunbrite tv
    I have a giant projector screen (extra, don't ask) and a projector, but I can't leave a screen just standing (not to mention wind concerns) and I'd have to still drag the projector back and forth.

i really wish there was an affordable solution to my needs! At this point, I feel like I need to build a cabana, just to have a tv!
    What about something crazy like this?

http://www.wayfair.com/Kanto-Mobile-...Y7bhoC62Tw_wcB

You can get one of those ROKU TVs that hook up to WIFI so you dont have to run cable to it. Roll the thing into your garage / shed when you are done. Itll hold up to a 65" screen.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by mitch08 View Post
    That's funny. If I took it off, nobody would know how green I am
    That was the first day I had it up.

- - - Updated - - -

What about something crazy like this?

http://www.wayfair.com/Kanto-Mobile-...Y7bhoC62Tw_wcB

You can get one of those ROKU TVs that hook up to WIFI so you dont have to run cable to it. Roll the thing into your garage / shed when you are done. Itll hold up to a 65" screen.

thanks, but really want a perm solution, not a rolling cart - so ghetto.

- - - Updated - - -

not to mention something like that is totally a danger with risk of falling on someone or into the pool

17. Back To Top    #17

Loopy, is your projector on the same side of the pool as the screen or are you shooting across the pool?

- Grecian poly wall 16.5 x 32.5 11ft averaged depth ~ 21,700 gallons - Plastimayd Ultramayd Vinyl Liner - 3 to 8 Feet deep
    -Two returns, 1 Hayward Skimmer, -Pentair 340038 Superflo 1HP Pump,-Pentair CCP420 Clear and Clear Plus Cartridge Filter
    -Rainbow Lifegard #320 Chlorine Feeder, -Two Pentair Deck Jets,-K-2006 FAS-DPD TEst Kit
    -Polaris 360 Pressure side vacuum
    -Completed August 2013