Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool pump humming, centrifugal Switch stuck open

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool pump humming, centrifugal Switch stuck open

My pool pump was leaking at the bottom, so I gathered enough courage to take the impeller off and replaced the seal. When replacing the impeller, I removed the capacitor and held the back of the shaft using a pliers (mistake) and I may have damaged the spring switch at the end of the shaft. I may have pressed the spring assembly using the pliers in doing so I think I may have moved the centrifugal switch also. Now my pump will make humming noise and will trip the circuit breaker after 15 sec. I checked and looks like the Centrifugal switch is stuck open when the pump is not running. Would someone please help? Also what is the name of the spring assembly, so that I can buy it, if required? I have attached a photo.
    Thanks for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool pump humming, centrifugal Switch stuck open

Are both springs still on the governor?

It looks like the switch (grey V) pivoted and is off centered. Loosen the switch screw at the open part of the V, push the governor down and then turn the switch so it sits directly on top of the governor. Then tighten the switch screw.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pool pump humming, centrifugal Switch stuck open

Yes, that was the problem. Once I put the Centrifugal switch on the governor, it worked immediately. Thanks for responding.