Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cloudy Water Help!

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy Water Help!

We just had our local pool company open our pool 4 days ago. It is a 25,000 gallon inground oval pool. Our winter cover collapsed letting a lot of the leaves/debris that were on top to get in the pool a few weeks before opening. Our pool is a cloudy blue. Here are our numbers according to the pool store yesterday:
    TC- 4.4
    FC- 3.2
    pH- 7.5
    TA- 135
    CH- 275
    Stabilizer- 35
    Shock Treatment- 1.2

Prior to this test we lowered pH which was at 8.4
    After this test as suggested by the pool store we added algaecide, phosfree, 4 gallons chlorine (which was a repeat of what they added 3 days ago). This was about 24 hours ago. There has been no change in appearance.
    New numbers according to my HTH test kit:
    TC- Off the charts- Dark Orange?
    Don't have a FC test, but test strips put it at highest PPM- 10-20 PPM, I think.
    pH- 7.5
    TA-130
    CH- 180
    CYA- 35

Filter is a Hawyard Vari-Flo XL with a 2.5 HP pump. It has been running continuously for 4 days.

We have tried to scoop out as much organic material as possible, but we can't see the bottom (not even in the shallow end). Am I just being impatient? What should we do next? How can I tell if it is a problem with the filter/pump? Both seem to be working fine. Help! We have such a short swimming season in Michigan, I hate wasting even one day
    Inground pool
    Vinyl liner
    Hayward 1.5 HP
    Sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy Water Help!

Your biggest limitation in resolving the algae issue and cloudiness is not having the proper test kit. That must be your #1 priority to perform a SLAM (link below). Please see the TF-100 link below in my sig and also look for the XL Option and speedstir. The pool store chemicals and advise are not going to help. For now, simply add about 1/2 gallon of regular bleach to the water each day until you get that test kit (or a Taylor K-2006"C"). I recommend the TF-100. From there, we can show you how to resolve your problem. We'll look for those results. Have a great day.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP

Have you been reading, I know it seems like a lot, we can help but you need your own test kit and please stop going by what the pool store is telling you.. that algaecide and phosfree is hurting more than helping.. do you still have the container from the algaecide? does it have copper or the name blue in it?

While those numbers look ok we really have no idea because pool store testing is just bad, they are trying to sell you chem's not fix your pool so the more they mess up the more money they make..

Ok, the plan

Order the TF100 with XL option, the speedstir is also very nice to have but you don't "have" to have it TFTestkits.net
    Go to walmart pool isle, grab 10 1 gallon jugs of Bleach/liquid chlorine, its says "pool shock" on the label
    go to lowes pool isle and grab chem tech muriatic acid (2 gallon box)

pour 1/2 gallon of bleach in every day until your test kit arrives, then do all of the tests and post numbers here

While you're waiting check out the links below
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

I have been religiously reading this site for the last four years, and have solved many pool problems thanks to you wonderful contributors! This is the first time we have ever had a murky/cloudy pool. I do have a 6-way test kit, but it doesn't test FC . I will suck it up and order the expensive kit! Cowboycasey- how much bleach should I pour in to start? Just 1/2 gallon? What about muriatic acid? Doesn't that lower pH? Sorry so many questions.
    Inground pool
    Vinyl liner
    Hayward 1.5 HP
    Sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I will suck it up and order the expensive kit!
    Most of us are "bargain shoppers" and try to make our $$ stretch. You will not regret the TF-100 w/ speed stir. That kit, and the results you receive at home, will save you more money and time that you can imagine through accurate testing and simple, proper chemical applications. Very good choice.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by erbeaman View Post
    I have been religiously reading this site for the last four years, and have solved many pool problems thanks to you wonderful contributors! This is the first time we have ever had a murky/cloudy pool. I do have a 6-way test kit, but it doesn't test FC . I will suck it up and order the expensive kit! Cowboycasey- how much bleach should I pour in to start? Just 1/2 gallon? What about muriatic acid? Doesn't that lower pH? Sorry so many questions.
    we love questions, that means your reading and learning

The MA will be used to lower your PH and TA, right now it is not needed until we get the test numbers but it is something you will need, just trying to save trips to the store You may need baking soda and 20 mule team borax also but no need to grab that right now, only if you need it and we will know once you get the test kit in..

The 1/2 gallon is just keeping your pool from getting worse, until you know exactly what is going on you can't fight the algae and we don't want to damage your liner..

We can get you going
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Most of us are "bargain shoppers" and try to make our $$ stretch. You will not regret the TF-100 w/ speed stir. That kit, and the results you receive at home, will save you more money and time that you can imagine through accurate testing and simple, proper chemical applications. Very good choice.

I concur 100%. The cost of the test kit and understanding the pool chemistry will save you $$$ in the long run. Knowing you would almost never need the phosfree or algeside the pool store sold you. Learn to test your water and people here will always be here to answer questions and coach you along.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks all. Kit has been ordered. I will post numbers as soon as I get it. Impatiently waiting...
    Inground pool
    Vinyl liner
    Hayward 1.5 HP
    Sand filter

9. Back To Top    #9

While you wait patiently-ish you can add your location, city, ST, to your profile so it shows up over there <----, climate is important and it will help us to better help you in the future. Settings upper right, Edit Profile lower left, don't forget to save.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok, obviously the kit hasn't come, but I want to try something. According to my research on this fantastic website, I need to raise my FC to 14 ppm and keep it there to shock (which is 7 gallons of 6% bleach according to the calculator). Since I don't have a super accurate way to measure FC, would it hurt anything to try it based on the Chlorine/CYA chart (maybe even throw in an extra gallon)? The kit shipped, so it should be here in a day or two and then I can more accurately measure the FC level, or just depend on my pool store's analysis (I know, I know ) until then. Thoughts? It is supposed to be 90 degrees here next weekend! I NEED to get my pool up and running
    Inground pool
    Vinyl liner
    Hayward 1.5 HP
    Sand filter

11. Back To Top    #11

Fine to raise FC to 14 ppm once. The problem is dosing after that. I would only dose about 3 ppm per day after today. And brush daily, or more.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

The issue your going to run into is with your liner, if you overshoot there is a possibility that you can bleach the liner.. with that said it is up to you on if you want to take the chance and bring your FC up..

Did you get the 10% bleach from walmart

13. Back To Top    #13

Ok, here are my numbers:
    FC- 2
    CC- 1.5
    TC- 3.5
    pH- 7.5
    CYA- 35
    TA- 170
    What do I need to do to get my water clear??? Thanks!
    Inground pool
    Vinyl liner
    Hayward 1.5 HP
    Sand filter

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

You are ready to SLAM! Have you read this? Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Nice

PH: take down to 7.2 with MA

use 40 CYA, so your SLAM level is FC16
    using poolmath put 2fc in now and 16 in target, then add that amount and brush...

this is the part that can make it go fast, the more you test the faster it will go.. 2 hours between tests or as many as you can during the day

once you start the SLAM only test FC and CC
    you are done when you pass all 3 tests in the OCLT

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks! I read the SLAM link, added chlorine according to the calculator, and will brush soon. Crossing my fingers...
    Inground pool
    Vinyl liner
    Hayward 1.5 HP
    Sand filter

17. Back To Top    #17

Alright day 3 of SLAMming. Keeping FC at/above 16 ppm, brushing daily, and backwashing when needed. I am starting to notice a very slight difference, but it doesn't seem to be clearing very quickly. How long does it usually take? And is there anything we can do to speed up the process? We are itching to get in our pool!!
    Inground pool
    Vinyl liner
    Hayward 1.5 HP
    Sand filter

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

sand filters are the easiest but take the longest to clear you water, you can add DE only when you can babysit your filter as the pressure will raise fast...

19. Back To Top    #19

Off to the store to get some DE tomorrow. Am I just being impatient? When should I expect to see it clear? A week? Two?
    Inground pool
    Vinyl liner
    Hayward 1.5 HP
    Sand filter

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

every pool is different, some fast some slow... I wish we knew exactly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast