No Free Chlorine

I have been working on balancing my SWG pool since we opened 1 week ago. We started out with an extremely high ph, which took a few treatments to correct. My present readings are TCI 1, ALK 80, PH 7.2, TH 250....all normal but the water is still cloudy and still not showing any FC. The SWG is turned up to 100%. I'm tempted to shock it a few times but not sure if this is what it needs. Any input would be appreciated!

Hello! :wave: If your FC is at or close to zero and you just opened-up from the winter, you probably have an algae situation. The SWG won't resolve it. You need to "SLAM" (link below) using regular bleach until you pass the 3 SLAM criteria. Also, what test kit are you using? That's important to know before you try to adjust chemicals or start the SLAM.

It's not the SWCG's fault. Something is eating all the chlorine it can produce. It's either Algae or Sun. What is the CYA level? Go to the top of this page and click on pool school. Read about the ABC's of pool care and how to SLAM the pool. Users here don't "shock" our pools, we SLAM them. You'll also need a proper test kit if you don't have one already.

I'd be willing to bet algae. Unfortunately, the pool store testing is not as reliable as you would think. Rotating employees, lack of proper training, and testing water in other than Taylor-recommended conditions all result in poor test results. It may seem convenient, but those tests bring you back to that store for "their" advice which is geared at selling products ($$$$). Get your own TF-100 test kit. It's easy to test waster, and you can test any time you need to. Most importantly, it will be accurate. For now, simply add about 1/2 gallon of regular bleach to the water each evening and once you get your own test kit, post those numbers for us. We'll help you get this fixed.

The test the pool store gave you is worth the money you paid for it :( We call them "guess strips" for a reason. They do more harm than good due to the fact you really do not know your levels.

Here is another vote for your own test kit. Look in my siggy for the one I use and love.

Your pool still has algae. It is dying but will not go away without more time and chlorine.

Kim:cat:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.