Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Deck sealer/gooey mess at waterline

1. Back To Top    #1

Deck sealer/gooey mess at waterline

Little background: My family moved in with my parents couple years ago to help with various health issues. They built this pool in mid-80s; they love to swim - good for them - but are no longer able to care for pool. So I've been helping/taking over where appropriate.

Soooo, last week my dad had a workman power wash the (ancient) wood decking around the pool, then apply a sealer (Thompson's). He applied it with a sprayer. Enough got into the pool that it collected at the waterline and is now a gooey, sticky gunk with stuck-on debris, especially cedar needles and insects and other stuff that falls into pool (they have nearly complete tree cover over the pool).

Any suggestions on how to get this off the tile at the waterline without upsetting pool chemistry? And should I be worried about what this might be doing to the plumbing, especially the sand filter? He should have used a roller but he was sort of left to his own devices (or maybe my dad told him to do it that way).
    35K inground plaster. Hayward pro series sand filter. Pentair mastertemp 250 heater. Polaris auto vac. Taylor K-2006C test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Deck sealer/gooey mess at waterline

Welcome to TFP

I also used a sprayer and got some into the pool (I used plastic floated over the water and still got stain in the water) I just used a little dawn and a kitchen sponge and it came right off.. You can do a deep clean for the sand filter to clean that. The little bit of soap won't hurt anything and it may kill bugs

Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Deck sealer/gooey mess at waterline

Thanks for the response. I'll give it a try!
    35K inground plaster. Hayward pro series sand filter. Pentair mastertemp 250 heater. Polaris auto vac. Taylor K-2006C test kit.