Silver Supporter
Jun 1, 2016
Buffalo, NY
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Solaxx (Saltron) Reliant / Purechlor R5
21 foot round above ground linered pool with a 1 HP Hayard pump and a Hayward Perflex DE Filter.

I went to Leslie's and bought a pool opening kit. Spent over $100 there a added all the chemicals the way the instructions said to.

What did it get me? A whole lot of nothing! Here are my results using the Taylor K-2006 test kit.

FC = 0
CYA = 70 to 80
TA = 0
Ph = Under 7 (it turned yellow and the closest indicator on the k-2006 is orangish at 7.0 so I don't know how to get an exact number)

The starter kit had 4 bags of chlorine which apparently only raised CYA and not FC. Also Algae Control and some other cr@p.

The pool is clean, except for a little bit of dirt in the crevices at the bottom.

Water looks nice and clear. If I hadn't tested it, I wouldn't have known that it needed anything.

Re: Frustrated and need help and mad at Leslie's pool stor

Nothing that can't be fixed.

First, though... you did add Diatomaceous Earth to that filter, yes?

The K-2006 has a base demand test. You can use that to figure out how much Washing Soda aka Soda Ash aka pH up to add to get that pH up in the comfort zone. Borax will also work, but it doesn't add much TA, which you need also.

How long ago did you add all the bags of chlorine? Chlorine is a consumable item and won;t last more than a day or two and needs to be replenished. Use bleach. You don't need any more CYA.

Re: Frustrated and need help and mad at Leslie's pool stor

Nothing that can't be fixed.

First, though... you did add Diatomaceous Earth to that filter, yes?

The K-2006 has a base demand test. You can use that to figure out how much Washing Soda aka Soda Ash aka pH up to add to get that pH up in the comfort zone. Borax will also work, but it doesn't add much TA, which you need also.

How long ago did you add all the bags of chlorine? Chlorine is a consumable item and won;t last more than a day or two and needs to be replenished. Use bleach. You don't need any more CYA.

Yes, added DE to the filter.

Took the filter apart and cleaned it prior to that as well.

Added the chlorine 5 days ago.

I will have to do that base demand test!

Any bleach is fine, generic, store brand, I get mine at Kroger. Just be sure to get unscented and NOT splashless or easy pour. Just plain bleach. The concentrated bleach is usually 8.25% and regular is 6ish. If it doesn't have the percentage listed then don't buy it. Also, liquid chlorine or liquid shock is also the same thing with 10-12% sodium hypochlorite.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.