Feeling lost with a green disgusting pool and eager kids

Jun 5, 2016
Carthage, NY
Our pool began giving us trouble last fall. We ran out of decent weather and it was closed without ever truly fixing the problem.

This spring it was bright green and had some leaves in it. We have been trying unsuccessfully to correct the problem. We spent all of the beautiful weather last week trying to get the pool prepped for a true SLAM this weekend, and although it occasionally looks better (although you still can't see the bottom) and the chlorine is now staying up for a decent amount of time, the numbers are all off. Please help!

These are the current numbers as of this am:
PH 7.0
TA 130 (we had been trying to bring this down with acid and then aerating to bring the ph back up as suggested in the forums) It was better before we began the SLAM
FC 14
CYA <20 (we have been adding stabilizer consistently in a sock in the filter, but this number does not move)

We have been running the pump continually, back-washing frequently, getting in the *pond* to scrub the walls/bottom, we have vacuumed and it is still green!

We had a very hard time maintaining the FC level of SLAM initially and tested and added as frequently as every 1/2 hour initially eventually backing off to every hour and now less frequently. We know that the CYA is an issue during the sunny days, but don't know what we can do other than just continually add it.

We have spent a ton of money and time on this and are completely frustrated. Any help you can offer would be sooo appreciated!

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: It's possible that when you first opened this season you actually had some ammonia in the water. That can happen sometimes when the circumstances are just right (or wrong). :) When ammonia is present, it consumes CYA as well, so that may explain what happened. In any case, "consistent" testing and re-application of bleach is the key. You seem to have broken through that part with your consistent 1/2-hr testing, and now you are able to hold FC to 14, so that's great.

I'm not sure when you last added stabilizer, but if it was more than a couple days ago, you may need to add enough to increase by 10 ppm, then test again in about 24 hours. You definitely want to try and reach 30 ppm of CYA. If your pH is at 7.0 now, that's fine. After the SLAM, when FC drops below 10 again, you can check the pH and adjust as necessary.

Remember a SLAM (link below) is not a quick process, and typically not completed in a weekend, especially if the pool was really green. So try to remain patient and keep doing what you're doing. Consistent testing and elevation of the FC at 12 is the key along with sweeping and backwashing as needed. Hang in there. It will work.

Thanks so much for the reply. We have been consistently adding CYA for about 6 days (in a sock in the skimmer) and it still doesn't seem to be sticking.

We started the SLAM Thursday night. I was hoping it would be less green and more grey by now! How long does the SLAM process typically take? I know it isn't a quick fix, but wonder if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks! It never occurred to me that it could be a problem with the acid.. The CYA was from two containers bought on the same day. I need to buy more, so I will try a different brand and see if that helps.

- - - Updated - - -

I will check on the FC after 10 minutes. Thanks for the suggestion!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.