Types of Chlorine

See the how to chlorinate your pool article in Pool School for a comparison.

The short of it is that will add calcium and eventually require replacing water to lower it again. It is also not usually cheaper.

The 2 big downsides to Cal-Hypo are that it can cause clouding of the pool water when it is added, and that it increases calcium in the pool water which can be particularly problematic in areas with low amounts of rainfall and high CH fill water like much of the southwest US. Too high of Calcium levels in pools leads to Calcium scaling. For areas like where I live along the gulf coast with very high amounts of CH free rainfall (typically 65+ inches per year) and very soft fill water (less than 60 ppm CH in the tap water) it may be a viable option.

Leslie's told me it didn't raise CYA and I purchased a 5 gallon bucket $154.00. Frustrating!! What should I do? How will impact my water if all is used? My water is in excellent condition since I did reverse osmosis last year.

My pool is using a gallon of liquid chlorine every three days, seems a little high. I am getting a little yellow algee on the side walls. My CC is at 0.

It does not raise CYA, but does raise CH for a 27K pool assuming no splash out or overflow from rain it will raise your CH by roughly 100 ppm (assuming this is a typical 50 pound tub), this is of course in addition to however much your CH is raised by replacement fill water and concentration of CH through evaporation. There are many locations in the west with fill water that is already over 400 ppm CH, and in general CH of over about 800 requires careful control of CSI to avoid scaling, so a lot comes down to how much CH is in your fill water, and how much water you have to replace due to evaporation where you live.

Leslie's told me it didn't raise CYA and I purchased a 5 gallon bucket $154.00. Frustrating!! What should I do? How will impact my water if all is used? My water is in excellent condition since I did reverse osmosis last year.

My pool is using a gallon of liquid chlorine every three days, seems a little high. I am getting a little yellow algee on the side walls. My CC is at 0.
Sorry, but it's time to SLAM that pool. Use only liquid.

For compression, my pool uses about half of a bottle of liquid every day during the summer, sometimes a little more. Three days on a gallon is not excessive.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.