Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stretched 'O' ring = air leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Stretched 'O' ring = air leak

image.jpg

Finally discovered why air would not stay purged and pressure gauge was so low. The offline chlorine feeder 'O' ring was stretched ~ 1/2 - 5/8" and kinked, allowing air into the feeder. 'O' ring tuck with a utility knife; thin strips Gorilla Tape spiraled opposite directions keeping ends together is working so far. With any luck it may serve 'till a new 'O' ring gets here.

OBC
    Above ground / in ground 18x36' vinyl lined 23K gal built 1989. Challenger Pac Fab 1-1/2 hp two speed pump, Hayward Swim Clear cartridge filter, Pentair 300 off line chlorine feeder, Kreepy Krauly connected at skimmer, Pool RX, Liner replaced May 2014. Using insulating plastic bubble cover. CA coastal canyon with Coast Live Oaks; abundant debris.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stretched 'O' ring = air leak

Finally discovered why air would not stay purged and pressure gauge was so low.
    I have to ask because I'm curious .... I can understand the low pressure because the chlorinator is on the pressure side. But when you mention "air not staying purged", do you think it was letting air "back in" when the system was not running? Because when the system is on and water pressure is on that side, you would not think air could get "in" - only water might leak out. Is that what you believe was happening?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!