Choices for AGP

tnjane

Jun 4, 2016
Dunlap, TN
I am looking at pool packages for AGP, 21'. Most packages include a single speed pump/sand filter. From my reading it seems a 2 speed pump would be better, and that a cartridge cleaner may also be better. Thoughts? What would you do if you were doing it again?
Also any absolutely do's or don't on the type of pool? Steel vs aluminum walls, etc.

Cartridge filter upgrade if you can. 2 speed pump is pretty versatile, but not needed. It it could save you a few bucks in electricity and the high speed helps run the vacuum or whatever you might need more power for.

Tnjane... I can only speak for myself and my experiences over the last 4 seasons... but im a bit pedantic about my water being crystal clear.
I started off with an intex pump and sand filter and it was pathetic.... i changed to a 24" sand filter and bigger hp pump but i was still not happy with small sediment/ dust that kept accumulating in the bottom of the pool... so i bit the bullet and bought a cartrige filter.... hot ****... no dust... and water has remained crystal ever since....
Now... it worked for me... but others may have had a different experience.
Its up to you.... but IMHO.... cartridge filter are almost as good as a DE filter these days...[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

A lot depends on how long you want this pool to last, at the bargain basement end there are a LOT of people that have modded Intex pools and are very happy with them. You can buy a 22 ft wide, by 52 inch deep Intex Ultraframe for under $900 online, add your own choice of small 1.5 HP 2 speed pump for above ground pools for under $300, and a decent cartridge filter for $250 (or maybe under $200 for a sand filter and sand) a Hayward above ground pool skimmer for $50, about another $50 in PVC pipe, glue, and adapters, then it is just up to you to decide on things like pool steps, ladders, decking, etc. Sure it is not as durable as some of the other option, but if you plan on just keeping this pool until the kids are grown a Intex Ultra-Frame may be just what you need.

All total this together could give you a reasonable pool in this size class for under $1,700 not counting ground prep. Sure it will not last like some of the major brands, but not everyone wants a pool for life. Maybe you do, maybe you don't maybe if you start off with the Intex you will decide you want a larger pool for life, ....

Thanks, Smitty! I do want clear water -- and less work if possible!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! This pool is for me and I hope it will last 30 years -- which will probably outlast me!

- - - Updated - - -

you would go bigger than 21'? The pool would be just for me most of the time. I had considered an oval but decided against it because of the expense and reading that they were more difficult structurally.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've had two Doughboys at both homes I've lived in. Both were bought used, the one we have now was from Craigslist for $1000. I wouldn't buy anything but Doughboy. They are made to last forever. If I had to do anything over it would be to dig deeper than what we did. You can see our build in my signature. It was a muddy mess when we bought it, already tore down. Definitely had to have a vision.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.