Bought a house with a pool. Help?

Jun 4, 2016
New Jersey
I recently bought a house that has an above ground pool. I know zero about pools so please tell me what I am doing wrong.

Today I managed to pull the cover off without getting the dirty water into the pool. I think I managed to plumb up the pump and filter correctly but the water level is not high enough to get it going. Then I took a sample to the local pool store. They sold me a bunch of stuff... mostly DE and something for pH called Lo and Slo, and some stuff for the copper because the reading was 0.5, and an algicide.

I came home and am now using my hose to try to fill the pool up enough to be able to turn on the pump but I have some questions...

1) It's a DE filter (Hayward EC40) and I read something about pouring a slurry of DE into the skimmer... Does that mean I should put the clamp collar on the filter with it all just empty? Should I prime that thing with some DE so that when it starts up the grid doesn't get all gummed up?

2) Was I supposed to take a water sample after filling the pool and getting the pump running?

3) All of the instructions for adding chemicals state that the pumps should be running when doing it, so I guess I just need to wait?

4) It mentions backwashing... From a quick google search it seems that this means using the hand pump on top... Do I need to open the drain valve afterwards to remove the "used" DE or just let it collect at the bottom?

Any other advice? I have been reading threads on here all day to try to learn the basics. This is a lot more complicated than I expected.

It seems really complicated at first, but you will absolutely get the hang of it.

Someone in the know will see you thread and get you enough info to start the basics and then everything will just eventually fall into place.

Follow what they say, even if you get anxious. Even if a neighbor comes over or a friend or coworkers says you are doing it all wrong, stay right in this thread and follow what you are told ~ you will be so much better for in the long run. Your water will be beautiful, your water will be healthy, and your wallet will be plumper.

There is a lot of reading on the forum. None of it makes a whole lot of sense initially ~ but then whambo bambo it all makes sense ~ so just hang in and have trust in the information.

This is an acceptable normal operating pressure?
Yeah, it is a little higher than I would expect but all pools are a little different. A picture of your equipment might be helpful.

They sold me a bunch of stuff... mostly DE and something for pH called Lo and Slo, and some stuff for the copper because the reading was 0.5, and an algicide.
Return everything you can.....it is a waste of your money. Don't "use it up" just cause you bought it. It may do you more harm than good and will obfuscate issues you might have.

Best advice I can give for newbies....stay out of the pool store. You need to begin the learning and do your own testing and water management. It is imposing at first but we can help every step of the way.

Best advice I can give for newbies....stay out of the pool store.

Best advice in the forum. Really. I opened a new to me pool this year didn't know a thing. Found this forum, lucky for me BEFORE I went to the pool store, and now I have a sparkling clear pool.

A few tips from me based on personal experience. Don't add anything to your pool unless YOU know what it does chemically to your pool.

Read the stickies on this forum. Read them daily. Read them multiple times a day. Really. I don't have the links handy since I'm mobile, but start with ABCs of pool chemistry. Buy one of the recommended Taylor test kits recommended here.

Once you get that test kit reply with all of your values here and one of the gurus will tell you exactly what you need to do based on what you find.

It seems daunting but you can do it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.