Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heat Siphon heat pump bypass necessary?

1. Back To Top    #1

Heat Siphon heat pump bypass necessary?

I'm about to move and replumb some of our equipment and was convinced I should put a bypass on the heatpump as it is only used here 2 months a year at most. But on speaking with Sue at heat siphon (the companies very friendly and knowledgeable tech person) said a bypass is not necessary as they use titanium and full flow through design so chemicals have no effect on the unit. She said I could put one in but totally up to me.
    So I'm leaning to leaving it out (heat pump hasn't had one for 10 years and running fine).
    What do you think?
    G.
    Pool 3800 gaĺlon glass tiled concrete approximately 10 years old/ Puerto Vallarta
    Hayward sand filter S166t.
    Pool Pump Silver10/1115 1hp
    Heat siphon Sx3.25hp
    Hard Municipal Water tf-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heat Siphon heat pump bypass necessary?

I am about to install a heat pump and I am planning to install a bypass for a couple of reasons. They reduce efficiency and water flow when not in use, might as well bypass it when not in use. We're in the same position as you, won't use the heater a lot more months then we will use it. If the heater fails/leaks for whatever reason then it is easy to bypass it and work on the heater.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

OK thanks that was my initial instinct. I am going to mock up the current configuration and post it here for any suggestions on the new plumbing layout. The main reason for moving the heat pump is to allow full air escape on top as we have redesigned the above deck and the heater needs to be moved by about 2 feet.
    Pool 3800 gaĺlon glass tiled concrete approximately 10 years old/ Puerto Vallarta
    Hayward sand filter S166t.
    Pool Pump Silver10/1115 1hp
    Heat siphon Sx3.25hp
    Hard Municipal Water tf-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by FirstVallartaPool View Post
    OK thanks that was my initial instinct. I am going to mock up the current configuration and post it here for any suggestions on the new plumbing layout. The main reason for moving the heat pump is to allow full air escape on top as we have redesigned the above deck and the heater needs to be moved by about 2 feet.
    I installed a Heat Siphon Z575HC in Central Florida early 2012. Direct plumbed everything with no bypass. All is perfect. No need for bypass.

Best...

Tim