What brings pH up?

doc8404

Silver Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
Rome, NY
Not talking about chemicals.

As several of you have read in my other threads, my total alkalinity is about 200 right now. My pH keeps rising. However, it appears my pH was much more stable and stayed right around 7.4 or 7.6 until I started aerating and adding dry acid .

Maybe I'm just imagining things and the more we use the pool the more the pH is rising. I hope this is making sense. Just wondering why the pH is going up as TA is coming down albeit slowly.

High TA plus aeration causes the pH to rise. I won't go into the complicated chemical details but, as CO2 outgasses from the water, the pH rises.

You need to use muriatic acid and aeration to lower your TA. There's an article in Pool School on how to lower TA.

If you are intentionally aerating, then stop. The aeration makes the pH rise but does nothing for the TA.

Use MA to lower lower the TA, it also lowers pH at the same time.
If you add enough MA so that the pH down to 7.0, then stop adding MA and aerate until the pH rises back up to 8.0

Then repeat the process until the TA has lowered to where you want it.

Read it many times and been aerating.
I know it will take time and I hope to get to Home Depot for some MA soon.
Thanks

Rain. Unknown.

Softened water at TA 480 and ph <7.5

Either treated water or hard water with iron. I chose the former.
Added 4" at beginning of season and have back washed twice due to more rain.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.