Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What brings pH up?

1. Back To Top    #1

What brings pH up?

Not talking about chemicals.

As several of you have read in my other threads, my total alkalinity is about 200 right now. My pH keeps rising. However, it appears my pH was much more stable and stayed right around 7.4 or 7.6 until I started aerating and adding dry acid .

Maybe I'm just imagining things and the more we use the pool the more the pH is rising. I hope this is making sense. Just wondering why the pH is going up as TA is coming down albeit slowly.
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What brings pH up?

High TA plus aeration causes the pH to rise. I won't go into the complicated chemical details but, as CO2 outgasses from the water, the pH rises.

You need to use muriatic acid and aeration to lower your TA. There's an article in Pool School on how to lower TA.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Read it many times and been aerating.
    I know it will take time and I hope to get to Home Depot for some MA soon.
    Thanks
    Pool installed 8/2015. 30' round Radiant pool. 21,000 gallons. 200# sand. Hayward Vari flow XL valve. 1.5hp Hayward Power-Flo Matrix running 10 hours/day in two periods. TF100 with speed stir. Sun all day, south side of house
    Order test kit TF-100 w/ Speed Stir and then Poolmath Calculator --- RECOMMENDED LEVELS --- POOL SCHOOL --- Algae? --- Chlorine/CYA CHART.

4. Back To Top    #4

If you are intentionally aerating, then stop. The aeration makes the pH rise but does nothing for the TA.

Use MA to lower lower the TA, it also lowers pH at the same time.
    If you add enough MA so that the pH down to 7.0, then stop adding MA and aerate until the pH rises back up to 8.0

Then repeat the process until the TA has lowered to where you want it.

Quote Originally Posted by doc8404 View Post
    Read it many times and been aerating.
    I know it will take time and I hope to get to Home Depot for some MA soon.
    Thanks
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

Guess I should've posted it in this thread as I did in previous threads. Thought it was best to start a new one.

Been dropping ph to 7-7.2 and aerating as per instructions

6. Back To Top    #6

What is the TA of your fill water?
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

7. Back To Top    #7

Rain. Unknown.

Softened water at TA 480 and ph <7.5

Either treated water or hard water with iron. I chose the former.
    Added 4" at beginning of season and have back washed twice due to more rain.
    Last edited by doc8404; 06-06-2016 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Updated fill water.