Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter Problem or Patience problem?

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter Problem or Patience problem?

this season when i opened the pool we had a swamp! Ive been filtering and shocking pool for almost three weeks now. Ive been vacuuming at least 2 times per day and checking chlorine levels a minimum of 3 times per day. my numbers have been pretty consistent over this time. they are as follows:
    PH 7.5
    FC - been keeping it at 14 has fallen as low as 10
    CC - between .5 and 1
    CH 200
    TA 130
    CYA - 35
    Attachment 49391Attachment 49391
    pool has been at this point now for 5 days see picture doesn't see to get any better. I have put on a DIY slime filter you can see it in the picture (used idea from sight which turned completely brown within 24 hrs. I have removed and washed the filter a few times. I also added a skimmer sock all to no avail. I have also been back washed my filter 5 time in this process about every-other day, till water runs clear which only takes a couple of minutes.

now this is my question when i vacuum i get a lot of glass particles in the bottom of my pool. i was vacuuming to the pool filter but now i have been using a pool blaster that's when i noticed a lot of glass particles in the vacuum filter about 3/4 cup per day. We have a Sand filter - Swim pro Model # SW256T - 250 lb High rate sand filter ( used glass not sand)Effective Filtration Area 3.22 ft2 Filtration Rate 25 GPM/ft not sure how old. Could i have a filter issue of is it a patience issue any advice or suggestions would be great.
    AG - Round pool 27'x52" aprox 17200 gallons Manufacturer & Model Unknown
    Sand filter - Swim pro Model # SW256T - 250 lb High rate sand filter ( used glass not sand)Effective Filtration Area 3.22 ft2 Filtration Rate 25 GPM/ft
    Hayward Matrix pump - Motor 2 Hp W/ Switch ( SP1520Z1ESC) Heater - RayPac 150,000 BTU Test Kit - TF 100 Test Kit - pool is filled with softened well water

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filter Problem or Patience problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Gail/Dave View Post
    this season when i opened the pool we had a swamp! Ive been filtering and shocking pool for almost three weeks now. Ive been vacuuming at least 2 times per day and checking chlorine levels a minimum of 3 times per day. my numbers have been pretty consistent over this time. they are as follows:
    PH 7.5
    FC - been keeping it at 14 has fallen as low as 10
    CC - between .5 and 1
    CH 200
    TA 130
    CYA - 35
    Attachment 49391Attachment 49391
    pool has been at this point now for 5 days see picture doesn't see to get any better. I have put on a DIY slime filter you can see it in the picture (used idea from sight which turned completely brown within 24 hrs. I have removed and washed the filter a few times. I also added a skimmer sock all to no avail. I have also been back washed my filter 5 time in this process about every-other day, till water runs clear which only takes a couple of minutes.

now this is my question when i vacuum i get a lot of glass particles in the bottom of my pool. i was vacuuming to the pool filter but now i have been using a pool blaster that's when i noticed a lot of glass particles in the vacuum filter about 3/4 cup per day. We have a Sand filter - Swim pro Model # SW256T - 250 lb High rate sand filter ( used glass not sand)Effective Filtration Area 3.22 ft2 Filtration Rate 25 GPM/ft not sure how old. Could i have a filter issue of is it a patience issue any advice or suggestions would be great.
    If you're using glass instead of sand, and you're finding glass in the pool, you're either a) not rinsing after backwashing or b) have a problem with the filter innards.

The filter should stop stuff that's too small to see, so something as big as a grain of sand should not pass through.

As an aside, your attachments don't display for some reason.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Huh??? Your Filter, Swim pro Model #SW256T calls for Silica - not sand. Is that what your seeing as 'glass' on the bottom? My best guess is that your filter needs to be emptied/cleaned and new silica replaced. With new Silica - you should notice a difference, I hope..
    Viking Fiberglass 12500 gal - Rockport, Raypak Heater - cupra-nickel, 300k+ BTU, Hayward 2030 Cartridge Filter, Pentair SuperFlo variable speed pump 2hp, and Hayward SWG system - t-15.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Fiberpool View Post
    Huh??? Your Filter, Swim pro Model #SW256T calls for Silica - not sand. Is that what your seeing as 'glass' on the bottom? My best guess is that your filter needs to be emptied/cleaned and new silica replaced. With new Silica - you should notice a difference, I hope..
    Sand filters call for #20 silica sand. There is also alternative sand filter media that uses glass beads, which is what Gail/Dave is using. Usually when there is a problem with filter media being released into the pool it is either that the filter media was not rinsed properly after backwashing or damage to the filter itself, such as broken laterals.

Gail/Dave if you are rinsing about a minute after backwashing and still releasing glass into the pool, you will need to remove the glass and check the stand pipe and laterals for cracks.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

this is the picture of the pool
    IMG_2637_zpsbdvq4jxy.jpg Photo by gwdw1 | Photobucket

what is rinse after back washing never heard of that.

Also we have had the pool / equipment since sept of last year. we got it used. the guy at the pool store said we could use glass in that filter instead of sand and it would do a better job of filtering. so i pd a boatload of money to use the glass in the filter, the glass was put in September of last year,
    Sand filter - Swim pro Model # SW256T - 250 lb High rate sand filter ( used glass not sand)Effective Filtration Area 3.22 ft2 Filtration Rate 25 GPM/ft
    Hayward Matrix pump - Motor 2 Hp W/ Switch ( SP1520Z1ESC) Heater - RayPac 150,000 BTU Test Kit - TF 100 Test Kit - pool is filled with softened well water

6. Back To Top    #6

Does your filter have a multiport valve or a push/pull valve?

If you have a push/pull valve you will not be able to rinse and some dirt may flow back into the pool after backwashing.

If you have a mulitport valve there is a setting called rinse on the dial.
    TFP Moderator
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

If you copy the IMG code to the right of the pic and paste it in your post the pic will be embedded in your thread like this

TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Look at the top of your filter. One of the positions should be labeled "rinse". You do this after you backwash.

ALWAYS have the pump off when moving the handle. ALWAYS turn the handle the same direction. This keeps the gasket under it from binding and tearing.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

The filter has a multi-port valve.
    thanks for the info on posting picture

10. Back To Top    #10

I went out and looked at the top of the valve and it has a rinse on it also i will start turning the lever in on direction from now on, I'm also going to do some reading on how to operate the filter. thanks. Also because of the age of the pool filter my husband is going to check to see if there are any broken laterals. with all this being said, will this filter issue cause unclear water and should i continue with shock levels of chlorine?

11. Back To Top    #11

Try backwashing until the water is clear, then rinse for about 1 minute or until water is clear if it still looks dirty in the sight glass. Once you put it back into filter mode, hold a sock over the return to see if any of the glass gets blown into the sock. If it does, then you will need to check the laterals and stand pipe. If it does not, keep the FC elevated and see it the water clears. You can run an overnight chlorine loss test to see if you need to continue to slam the pool. If you fail the overnight test, continue to slam.
    TFP Moderator
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

will do and will let you know the results thanks

13. Back To Top    #13

Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

I wanted to share this with you to give you an idea how this kind of filter works.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit