Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What's wrong with my D.E. Filter?!? Help!

1. Back To Top    #1

What's wrong with my D.E. Filter?!? Help!

Hey everyone!

Recently, I had my pool opened, ans since then I've been having problems with my Hayward Pro Grid D.E. Filter 48 sq ft. When I open the pool, it was cloudy but not that bad. After the first hour that the pump was running, the filter already clogged up. I back washed it and added the proper amount of D.E. and it was good for about an hour so. After this, I opened up the filter and hosed it down. After running it for about an hour or so, it clogged up again. The next day I backwash the filter then soaked the grid's in Leslies filter cleanse. I put them back in, and it clogged up about an hour later. Does anybody have any suggestions?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What's wrong with my D.E. Filter?!? Help!

Welcome!

What does the pool look like? If it's green or cloudy and you can't see the main drain clearly, nothing's wrong with the filter. It's working exactly as designed.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't have a main drain just a skimmer. The filter never used to clog up like this. Could the grids be bad?

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Mlfein View Post
    I don't have a main drain just a skimmer. The filter never used to clog up like this. Could the grids be bad?
    What does the pool look like? If it's green or cloudy and you can't see the floor of the deepest part clearly, nothing's wrong with the filter. It's working exactly as designed.

If the pressure returned to normal after cleaning, there's nothing wrong with the grids. They just support the DE that does the filtering. If they were clogged, the pressure would be high even after cleaning. Now what does the water look like, and do you have any test results?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!