Finally, we have a pool. Now, how to do it right...

StacyTX

Gold Supporter
Jun 4, 2016
Leander, Texas
We just moved to Central Texas from Wisconsin a week ago and now have a lovely pool. I want to maintain it well, and everything on the interwebs directs me here to learn how to do that. So, first, I'll say, "hi" and second, thanks in advance.

My cursory first read tells me that I need a better water testing kit. The one that was left only tests for Cl/Br and Ph. Yet I see many other test levels discussed here.

i do not have any particular issue with the pool being green or anything at this time, but I've read that pool water can go sideways pretty suddenly, so I'm hoping to get ahead of things and work preventatively. I assume there will be a daily routine of testing the water and skimming, but beyond that - I will need help.

Thanks again for being here!

:wave: Welcome to TFP

Yes you will need a good test kit to follow our methods which are not the same as what a pool store will tell you. We believe in testing and balencing our own water with things often as simple a bleach, baking soda and borax. The link in my signature is to site where you can buy the TF-100 which should suit your needs.

Depending on how previous owners chlorinated, you may find yourself with a high CYA problem.....or not. We'll need those test results. Do a lot of reading in pool school and post your questions. Lots of members here will help you.

Welcome! :wave:

Your next stop should be Pool School. Make sure you understand the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry so you understand our language. Then read up on Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals so you understand you don't have to get reamed in a pool store to get pool chemicals. Then Pool School - PoolMath so you understand all the little built-in tricks in poolmath. You can skip the test kits article. Go to TFTestkits.net and order one of those. As of last week, it includes the CYA standard, so you can calibrate your eyes and technique before testing your own CYA level. No other kit includes that. The XL option is truly an option if your pool isn't green. So's the speedstir, but nobody who has one regrets the purchase. Nobody.

TF-100 ordered. Now, I'm off to learn my ABCs.

The water is pretty clear still, but the little vacuum robot dude on the bottom isn't cleaning as well as he did when we arrived last week. I emptied his catching bag, which was not full, but he is still not happy.

I am a tad worried I've broken it somehow.

It still rolls around, just very slowly and ineffectively now.

TF-100 ordered. Now, I'm off to learn my ABCs.

The water is pretty clear still, but the little vacuum robot dude on the bottom isn't cleaning as well as he did when we arrived last week. I emptied his catching bag, which was not full, but he is still not happy.

I am a tad worried I've broken it somehow.

It still rolls around, just very slowly and ineffectively now.
If that robot dude is driven by a hose from your filter, maybe the pool filter is clogging. If he's electric, just ignore what I just wrote.