New to forum. Algae help please!

May 31, 2016
Salem/NY
From other posts I'm assuming I have an algae problem. I am currently waiting for my TF-2006 to arrive as I saw suggested in other posts.
We opened last week with a green pool which we shocked with 4 gallons of chlorine initially over 2 days. It cleared to milky blue and we ran the pump and vacuumed for like 6 days. No change. I foolishly went to the pool store who recommended some pool first aid liquid that required 48 hours of running and no shocking. That didn't work so back to no chlorine in the water yesterday. We shocked again with 2 gallons yesterday And today we have foamy milky blue water. Aside from not being able to test with our new kit does this sound like we might be on the right track now?

54e2c6b95094fe9668a7e21f8006e265.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

You're on the right track in that you have your kit ordered. Did you order a Taylor K-2006 or a TF-100 test kit? The TF-100 is a better deal all around but the K-2006 will work. You'll need to order some reagents very soon though with that one.

That pool first aid product is likely what's causing the apparent foaming on the surface, unless you have used an outdoor or splashless bleach. Stick to plain, unscented stuff only.

Have a look at ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry to get a feel for our methods here.

Filling out your forum signature with details about your pool goes a long way in helping us answer questions as well.

Oops it's a TK- 2006. Which reagents should I order?

The reagent you'll likely need first with that kit and performing a SLAM is the R-0871 reagent because you use lots of drops at elevated FC levels. You may also need the CYA testing reagent as the reagent bottle in the K-2006 is pretty small. You can order the larger bottle of that from tftestkits.net as well as the R-0871.

This: XL option
and this: CYA refill

Welcome to TFP!
Congrats on ordering the test kit and refills, you're going to love what they do for you!

Is your pool 24 feet in diameter and 52 inches deep? Use PoolMath to calculate the size in gallons of your pool. This combined with test results is how you will determine how much of what to add, and you can do that now while you wait.

Do you have a basic PH (red drops) and OTO *yellow drop* chlorine test? If so, what do they say?

If you don't have either of those, did the pool store give you a copy of the most recent test results?

I only ask these questions because if your FC is really low, it would be good to put a small amount of bleach in daily to keep things stable and not lose ground. If your pool does happen to be 24 ft diameter and 52 inches deep that's about half a bottle a day in flying blind mode, if your FC is low and your ph is reasonable. See, this guessing game is dead to you once your kit arrives. So great of you to order it.

Welcome to TFP!
Congrats on ordering the test kit and refills, you're going to love what they do for you!

Is your pool 24 feet in diameter and 52 inches deep? Use PoolMath to calculate the size in gallons of your pool. This combined with test results is how you will determine how much of what to add, and you can do that now while you wait.

Do you have a basic PH (red drops) and OTO *yellow drop* chlorine test? If so, what do they say?

If you don't have either of those, did the pool store give you a copy of the most recent test results?

I only ask these questions because if your FC is really low, it would be good to put a small amount of bleach in daily to keep things stable and not lose ground. If your pool does happen to be 24 ft diameter and 52 inches deep that's about half a bottle a day in flying blind mode, if your FC is low and your ph is reasonable. See, this guessing game is dead to you once your kit arrives. So great of you to order it.

Yes your diameter and deepness is correct.
I do have a basic tester, this morning it read 5 (that's as high as it goes)for chlorine and 7.2 for ph. I added a gallon of shock last night and have been for the past few days to try to at least do something until my test kit arrived.
My kit will be there when I get home today so I'll be able to post some real numbers and hopefully get started.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok. Here are my test #s if I did them right.
FC .55ppm
CC 2
Ph 7.2
Alk 70
Calcium 90
Cya 0. Black dot didn't go away.

I'm attempting to read the pool school articles. But any suggestions?

These are your first very own test result correct? And we know you need to SLAM right? SO here's some notes:
FC - should simply be 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, etc by using the 10ml sample. (10ml water sample, add one heaping scoop of powder, count drops until clear then divide by 2.
CC - Elevated well over .5 so we know there's a problem
pH - Perfect for a SLAM!
TA - fine
CH - basically N/A
CYA - Needs to be 30.
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.
You can add that stabilizer right away.

Once the stabilizer is in, raise the FC to 12 and follow all the notes on the SLAM page. If you have any questions about the FC testing, let us know. Good luck!

These are your first very own test result correct? And we know you need to SLAM right? SO here's some notes:
FC - should simply be 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, etc by using the 10ml sample. (10ml water sample, add one heaping scoop of powder, count drops until clear then divide by 2.
CC - Elevated well over .5 so we know there's a problem
pH - Perfect for a SLAM!
TA - fine
CH - basically N/A
CYA - Needs to be 30. You can add that stabilizer right away.

Once the stabilizer is in, raise the FC to 12 and follow all the notes on the SLAM page. If you have any questions about the FC testing, let us know. Good luck!

Thanks! Yes first time with test kit, yes we need to SLAM. The FC took 11 drops so 5.5 then?
I added the socks of cya earlier to get it going. So do I have to wait a few days to let the stabilizer work or is there something I can do now?

Started SLAM last night at 10pm. Tested at 11pm
FC 14
CC 1
I used pool math for the correct amount of bleach to add but I must have put too much in. I also think I miscalculated CC yesterday as I used 2 drops and instructions say I should multiply x.5 = 1

Tested at 7:15 am
FC 15
CC 1

Should I add bleach now to keep the level up? If so I just don't know how much?

So I've kept FC at or around 12 throughout the day. CC has gone back and forth between 1 and .5 all day. Last check before bed
FC 13
CC .5

Water is still bluish green and cloudy with minimal improvement. I'm hoping for a SLAM miracle soon. Lol.

What other parts of the SLAM are you practicing? Are you brushing? Are you vacuuming? Are you cleaning the filter? Make sure you are being very pro-active in your SLAM by doing all these things that will help your pool clear itself.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.