New filter possibly?

Jun 4, 2016
Belford. NJ
Hi. I moved into a house with a pool two years ago and have been struggling to keep it well-behaved ever since, since I've never worked with pools before.

I have an FNS Plus 60 sq. ft. DE filter which I cleaned today after seeing the pressure go up 10 psi or more over the indicated starting point. I noticed some of the grids have been worn out pretty badly and cleaning the grids thoroughly is practically impossible since the bolts at the top thing are rusted in place. I did the best I could, dumped the 7.5 pounds of DE in the pool skimmer and waited a few hours, and the pressure is still high.

I feel like I need a new filter, but a new DE filter is too much for us to afford right now, and I need some professional advice on what I should do. Thanks!

Edit: I added some PhosFree and forgot to read the label which clearly states that it raises pressure. Oh well. Main concern still stands!

If the pool is green, that explains pressure rising and flow decreasing within hours of backwashing.

If the gauge doesn't move much, maybe it's bad? Does it go to zero when the pump is off?

And finally, the maker of Phosfree even states that it shouldn't be added to pools with algae. They know it will clog everything up but good.

Ugh I knew there was a finer detail I must've missed. Also, the gauge is perfectly functional, it does go to zero if the pump is turned off.

What do I do now, since Phosfree is in the pool? What exactly does it clog, the filter grids? Would I have to open the filter itself and give the grids a wash again?

Ugh I knew there was a finer detail I must've missed. Also, the gauge is perfectly functional, it does go to zero if the pump is turned off.

What do I do now, since Phosfree is in the pool? What exactly does it clog, the filter grids? Would I have to open the filter itself and give the grids a wash again?
Probably more than once. Try a simple backwash and recharge using 80% of the recommended DE to allow for what is stuck inside.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.