Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New filter possibly?

1. Back To Top    #1

New filter possibly?

Hi. I moved into a house with a pool two years ago and have been struggling to keep it well-behaved ever since, since I've never worked with pools before.

I have an FNS Plus 60 sq. ft. DE filter which I cleaned today after seeing the pressure go up 10 psi or more over the indicated starting point. I noticed some of the grids have been worn out pretty badly and cleaning the grids thoroughly is practically impossible since the bolts at the top thing are rusted in place. I did the best I could, dumped the 7.5 pounds of DE in the pool skimmer and waited a few hours, and the pressure is still high.

I feel like I need a new filter, but a new DE filter is too much for us to afford right now, and I need some professional advice on what I should do. Thanks!

Edit: I added some PhosFree and forgot to read the label which clearly states that it raises pressure. Oh well. Main concern still stands!
    ~12,000 gallons, in-ground concrete pool. 60 sq. ft. DE filter (FNS Plus). 2 HP pump. Outdoor.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: New filter possibly?

Welcome to TFP

Just replace the grids and you will be good to go
    Pleatco PFS3060 Filter Grid for Pentair, American, Hayward, Pac-Fab (7 full + 1 half), 60 sq ft

Stick around and check out some of the threads
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the welcoming! I can't replace grids. Bolts are rusted in at the top so I can't remove the grids :/
    ~12,000 gallons, in-ground concrete pool. 60 sq. ft. DE filter (FNS Plus). 2 HP pump. Outdoor.

4. Back To Top    #4

What does the water look like -- is it cloudy or green? Can you see a quarter on the floor if you toss one in?

What did the pressure say immediately before adding DE and immediately after adding DE? Was it normal or was it high from the get-go?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

High both. I can see the bottom but it's pretty cloudy - I shocked the pool today. It's green at the moment.

6. Back To Top    #6

If the pool is green, that explains pressure rising and flow decreasing within hours of backwashing.

If the gauge doesn't move much, maybe it's bad? Does it go to zero when the pump is off?

And finally, the maker of Phosfree even states that it shouldn't be added to pools with algae. They know it will clog everything up but good.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Ugh I knew there was a finer detail I must've missed. Also, the gauge is perfectly functional, it does go to zero if the pump is turned off.

What do I do now, since Phosfree is in the pool? What exactly does it clog, the filter grids? Would I have to open the filter itself and give the grids a wash again?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    Where can I get a frame for those? (I don't know if that's the proper term) I can't remove the grids themselves (rusty bolts).

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Pearl View Post
    Ugh I knew there was a finer detail I must've missed. Also, the gauge is perfectly functional, it does go to zero if the pump is turned off.

What do I do now, since Phosfree is in the pool? What exactly does it clog, the filter grids? Would I have to open the filter itself and give the grids a wash again?
    Probably more than once. Try a simple backwash and recharge using 80% of the recommended DE to allow for what is stuck inside.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Pearl View Post
    Where can I get a frame for those? (I don't know if that's the proper term) I can't remove the grids themselves (rusty bolts).
    Sorry, thought it was just the grids, here ya go

Pentair Grid Assy., 60 Sq. Ft. Filter - 59023300 - INYOPools.com

You will get a discount if you join TFP
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    Sorry, thought it was just the grids, here ya go

Pentair Grid Assy., 60 Sq. Ft. Filter - 59023300 - INYOPools.com

You will get a discount if you join TFP
    Thanks a bunch! This is exactly what I was looking for!