TFPC for a newly replastered pool

Jun 4, 2016
Clifton, VA
26,000 gallons of new water trucked in after a brand new plaster job. I've only replastered once in 35 years! Want to try BBB/TFPC after many years using copper/silver along with low level of tri-chlor 3-inch tabs. It worked well for water clarity, etc., but eventually the copper stained the plaster and left us with somewhat green tint in hair after a long summer of use! So need some advice on getting things going and whether there are special considerations for TFPC in new plaster situations..does the calculator take those things into account? I have a new Taylor K2006 on the way. Not sure about the reagents in the older LaMotte kit I have. Thanks

I have new plaster too (well a new pool). 1st, I think the TFP is great for this since daily checking is required with this method and you will learn how to handle your pool quickly and will end up doing a better job keeping that new plaster in the proper ranges. With new plaster this will help ensure that your PH stays in range as it will fluctuate more frequently for a while. I was told that early on to keep the PH low since it will rise daily.

For the 1st several weeks, I would adjust to 7.2, 24 hours later, it would be up to 7.6 to 7.8, adjust to 7.2, rinse, repeat.... Now that we have been with water for about 6 weeks, the PH is more stable and the other levels are in range to and that helps. I have now gone several days without adding MA. It has been at 7.6.

If you don't have a test kit yet, you should get a TF-100 or Taylor from the TFTestKits website.

If you have not added Chlorine yet, use Pool Math to start that immediately using bleach. You need to get your CYA up to 30 to start as soon as possible. You will need Muratic Acid to adjust the PH down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.