Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TFPC for a newly replastered pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Clifton, VA

Question TFPC for a newly replastered pool

26,000 gallons of new water trucked in after a brand new plaster job. I've only replastered once in 35 years! Want to try BBB/TFPC after many years using copper/silver along with low level of tri-chlor 3-inch tabs. It worked well for water clarity, etc., but eventually the copper stained the plaster and left us with somewhat green tint in hair after a long summer of use! So need some advice on getting things going and whether there are special considerations for TFPC in new plaster situations..does the calculator take those things into account? I have a new Taylor K2006 on the way. Not sure about the reagents in the older LaMotte kit I have. Thanks
    SEffros...Long-time pool owner, used copper/silver system with good results for many years, but have just replastered after 20 years, and want to try BBB. 21X43 gunite/plaster pool 26,000 gallons, Anthony DE Filter, 1.5hp motor, Polaris Pool Sweep

2. Back To Top    #2

Land O Lakes, FL

Re: TFPC for a newly replastered pool

I have new plaster too (well a new pool). 1st, I think the TFP is great for this since daily checking is required with this method and you will learn how to handle your pool quickly and will end up doing a better job keeping that new plaster in the proper ranges. With new plaster this will help ensure that your PH stays in range as it will fluctuate more frequently for a while. I was told that early on to keep the PH low since it will rise daily.

For the 1st several weeks, I would adjust to 7.2, 24 hours later, it would be up to 7.6 to 7.8, adjust to 7.2, rinse, repeat.... Now that we have been with water for about 6 weeks, the PH is more stable and the other levels are in range to and that helps. I have now gone several days without adding MA. It has been at 7.6.

If you don't have a test kit yet, you should get a TF-100 or Taylor from the TFTestKits website.

If you have not added Chlorine yet, use Pool Math to start that immediately using bleach. You need to get your CYA up to 30 to start as soon as possible. You will need Muratic Acid to adjust the PH down.
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Orange County, CA

Yeah, stock up on muriatic acid, you will be using a lot of acid in the first few months. I get mine at Lowes in the paint dept.
    17k IG plaster pool+ spa, Stonescape mini-pebble midnight blue, marble coping, Trex and porcelain tile decking, Pentair Intelliflo VSP x 3 (filter, laminars and spa jets), Pentair IC40, Pentair MasterTemp 400, Pentair Quad DE 100, Pentair CC 150 for laminars, Intellibrite 5G LEDs, MagicStream Laminars x 3, Intellitouch i9+3 automation with Screenlogic2, IntellipH, Dolphin s300i, TFTest kit, SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Congrats on the new plaster! Did they give any guidelines for start up? Are they doing the start up?
    Pool School - Start-up New Plaster
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach