Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding Calcium Chloride vs Water Hardner

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding Calcium Chloride vs Water Hardner

First of all let me thank all of you!! This is my 4th year of having a pool and the first three were horrific. I couldn't keep the water right and I spent more time trying to fix the water than I did swimming in it. This year however, is different. I purchased a Taylor test kit like many of you suggested and followed the TFP method and wah-lah.. trouble free pool! What a joy it is to have a pool that's trouble free!! My present readings:

FC 3.6
    CC .2
    PH 7.4
    TA 100
    CH 90

According to pool math, I need to add 23.6 lbs. of calcium chloride. I purchased a 50# of Downflake Xtra calcium chloride at CO-OP this morning and noticed that it's not 100% pure. It also has water, potassium chloride and sodium chloride in it and it says it's 83-87% pure. My questions is, will these other ingredients be harmful in any way? My grandsons swim in the pool daily and inevitably swallow some water. Also, when I dissolve this in a 5 gal bucket, how much should I add at one time? 5#, 10# or 23#? Thanks again guys!
    Above Ground Pool
    24' x 52" (Steel)
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter 21"
    1hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Adding Calcium Chloride vs Water Hardner

You have a vinyl liner, you don't need to mess with your calcium level.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Those other ingredients aren't toxic. You know Sodium Chloride is salt. Potassium Chloride is what's in "No-salt" that people with high blood pressure use on their french fries.

As for adding it, you're asking the wrong guy. I'm always trying to lower my CH number. You could just come visit me and bring a barrel and I'll send you home with enough water to boost your CH in a hurry.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

^^^ Donaldson is right. You dont need to add any CH to vinyl pool.
    If you can, return the stuff and get a refund.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you all for the speedy responses. If I don't need it in the pool I'll just hang on to it and use it this winter for ice melt. Thanks again.
    Above Ground Pool
    24' x 52" (Steel)
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter 21"
    1hp pump