Iron Removal

ckk81

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 1, 2015
Kalamazoo MI
Filling pool from hose (municipal) and I've got a yellow green cloud. I had the iron level tested reading 0.6ppm. I'm considering running it through a filter to see if I can get some out. RS22-SS2-S06 this is the particular filter in thinking of trying. I already have the housing this brand fits. Thoughts? Not crazy about having to sequester.

Not full enough to run through the skimmer. Currently running through filter I mentioned previously with a submersible pump.
There used to be a great thread with great pictures but the guy took down the pictures. He made a filter by stuffing an empty gallon jug with pillow stuffing and punched some holes in the bottom and used a small pump to fill the mouth. Cleared what looked like coffee in a day.

553ec48e224489d7acaede1a9eed9808.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ckk, vacuum that to waste if you can without kicking it back up.
Also, if you swap that 5 micron filter for a 1 micron filter you will catch more iron ;)

Lastly, since you're in an experimental mode, I should mention that I am presently doing a test with Alum floc and iron. Alum foc (or any floc) is not normally recommended at TFP due to sulphates, unrelability, and the potential to mess up your filter.

But, if you can vacuum to waste and have a unique situation, there are times it might turn out to be useful.

In my experimrpent, I took a 5 gal pail of raw well water with 2 ppm iron. I added 1/2 teaspoon of Leslie's Alum. The orange has flocced to the bottom and it hasn't even been 24 hours yet.

This ratio roughly represents what 12 lbs of Alum (this type only) would do in 10,000 gallons of pool water.

Tuesday, when my refills on iron test come in, I'll be able to report how many ppm were removed this way. I can already see that the water above the floc mass is crystal clear, so I'm optimistic.

Ckk, I just realized your in Kzoo and you're salt water.

While I'm cautiously optimistic that your mechanical filtering will reduce your iron load, I'm not as optimistic that you'll be able to avoid something like Jacks Purple...just that you won't need as much. Pool Chemicals, Hot Tub Chemicals and Supplies | Pool Geek carries it and reaches Mi locations overnight. Fingers crossed that you can just skip it...but just in case ;)

Secondly, in your town, The Water Boy has a 12,000 gallon tanker for $499...decent price for size if you ever find you need to dilute. I have his number somewhere if you ever need it.

Lastly, is that liner floor Seabrook, and who did you get it through? I'm getting ready for a liner change up in GR and can't seem to get that border from my preferred vendor, but can get Seabrook borderless.

Ckk, vacuum that to waste if you can without kicking it back up.
Also, if you swap that 5 micron filter for a 1 micron filter you will catch more iron ;)

Lastly, since you're in an experimental mode, I should mention that I am presently doing a test with Alum floc and iron. Alum foc (or any floc) is not normally recommended at TFP due to sulphates, unrelability, and the potential to mess up your filter.

But, if you can vacuum to waste and have a unique situation, there are times it might turn out to be useful.

In my experimrpent, I took a 5 gal pail of raw well water with 2 ppm iron. I added 1/2 teaspoon of Leslie's Alum. The orange has flocced to the bottom and it hasn't even been 24 hours yet.

This ratio roughly represents what 12 lbs of Alum (this type only) would do in 10,000 gallons of pool water.

Tuesday, when my refills on iron test come in, I'll be able to report how many ppm were removed this way. I can already see that the water above the floc mass is crystal clear, so I'm optimistic.
Very interested in your findings. I thought about a 1 micron, but was afraid it would clog quickly. I'm switching filters periodically and cleaning them with Iron Out. What if I add floc and then run through my DE filter? Would that catch it?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ckk, I just realized your in Kzoo and you're salt water.

While I'm cautiously optimistic that your mechanical filtering will reduce your iron load, I'm not as optimistic that you'll be able to avoid something like Jacks Purple...just that you won't need as much. Pool Chemicals, Hot Tub Chemicals and Supplies | Pool Geek carries it and reaches Mi locations overnight. Fingers crossed that you can just skip it...but just in case ;)

Secondly, in your town, The Water Boy has a 12,000 gallon tanker for $499...decent price for size if you ever find you need to dilute. I have his number somewhere if you ever need it.

Lastly, is that liner floor Seabrook, and who did you get it through? I'm getting ready for a liner change up in GR and can't seem to get that border from my preferred vendor, but can get Seabrook borderless.
Liner pattern is Modesto from GLI. http://www.glipoolproducts.com/assets/modesto_pp.gif

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.