Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iron Removal

1. Back To Top    #1

Iron Removal

Filling pool from hose (municipal) and I've got a yellow green cloud. I had the iron level tested reading 0.6ppm. I'm considering running it through a filter to see if I can get some out. RS22-SS2-S06 this is the particular filter in thinking of trying. I already have the housing this brand fits. Thoughts? Not crazy about having to sequester.
    30K? gal (20x40, 3ft shallow to 8-9ft hopper), Vinyl IG, single speed 1HP pump, Hayward Micro Clear DE-3600 filter, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG T15 Cell, Rheem/Raypack M206A heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Iron Removal

Try layering some paper towels in the skimmer to catch the Iron.

A Tale of Two Filters... and Ugly, Rusty Water.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I saw that, do I need to addsomething to make the iron precipitate?

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by ckk81 View Post
    I saw that, do I need to addsomething to make the iron precipitate?
    Not really. FC at target for your CYA and pH at the top of the scale (7.7, 7.8) should do it. If it's yellow, it's already precipitating; dissolved, it would be clear.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Is .6 ppm alot of iron?

6. Back To Top    #6

Is .6 ppm alot of iron?
    Yes. I think the staining threshold is .3.

Have you tried the paper towels?

7. Back To Top    #7

Not full enough to run through the skimmer. Currently running through filter I mentioned previously with a submersible pump.

8. Back To Top    #8

Not full enough to run through the skimmer. Currently running through filter I mentioned previously with a submersible pump.
    There used to be a great thread with great pictures but the guy took down the pictures. He made a filter by stuffing an empty gallon jug with pillow stuffing and punched some holes in the bottom and used a small pump to fill the mouth. Cleared what looked like coffee in a day.

9. Back To Top    #9

I asked the home furnishings folks which pillow was best for iron, but all I got was blank stares 😉. Running my filter setup overnight will report in.

10. Back To Top    #10

30K? gal (20x40, 3ft shallow to 8-9ft hopper), Vinyl IG, single speed 1HP pump, Hayward Micro Clear DE-3600 filter, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG T15 Cell, Rheem/Raypack M206A heater

11. Back To Top    #11

Filter on the right is post after running 12. Definitely a change. Going to keep running to see if the filter gets darker. Any more thoughts?

12. Back To Top    #12

How many microns is that filter rated for? You'll have the most success with a 1 micron fiter if one is easy to get for your housing.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Swampwoman View Post
    How many microns is that filter rated for? You'll have the most success with a 1 micron fiter if one is easy to get for your housing.

14. Back To Top    #14

My device and my laboratory.

15. Back To Top    #15

Added a secondary (sockendary?) filter already picking up some color.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Not really. FC at target for your CYA and pH at the top of the scale (7.7, 7.8) should do it. If it's yellow, it's already precipitating; dissolved, it would be clear.
    Something brown has definitely accumulated on the bottom overnight.

17. Back To Top    #17

Ckk, vacuum that to waste if you can without kicking it back up.
    Also, if you swap that 5 micron filter for a 1 micron filter you will catch more iron

Lastly, since you're in an experimental mode, I should mention that I am presently doing a test with Alum floc and iron. Alum foc (or any floc) is not normally recommended at TFP due to sulphates, unrelability, and the potential to mess up your filter.

But, if you can vacuum to waste and have a unique situation, there are times it might turn out to be useful.

In my experimrpent, I took a 5 gal pail of raw well water with 2 ppm iron. I added 1/2 teaspoon of Leslie's Alum. The orange has flocced to the bottom and it hasn't even been 24 hours yet.

This ratio roughly represents what 12 lbs of Alum (this type only) would do in 10,000 gallons of pool water.

Tuesday, when my refills on iron test come in, I'll be able to report how many ppm were removed this way. I can already see that the water above the floc mass is crystal clear, so I'm optimistic.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    Helpful Links:

18. Back To Top    #18

Ckk, I just realized your in Kzoo and you're salt water.

While I'm cautiously optimistic that your mechanical filtering will reduce your iron load, I'm not as optimistic that you'll be able to avoid something like Jacks Purple...just that you won't need as much. Pool Chemicals, Hot Tub Chemicals and Supplies | Pool Geek carries it and reaches Mi locations overnight. Fingers crossed that you can just skip it...but just in case

Secondly, in your town, The Water Boy has a 12,000 gallon tanker for $499...decent price for size if you ever find you need to dilute. I have his number somewhere if you ever need it.

Lastly, is that liner floor Seabrook, and who did you get it through? I'm getting ready for a liner change up in GR and can't seem to get that border from my preferred vendor, but can get Seabrook borderless.
    Helpful Links:

19. Back To Top    #19

Ckk, vacuum that to waste if you can without kicking it back up.
    Also, if you swap that 5 micron filter for a 1 micron filter you will catch more iron

Lastly, since you're in an experimental mode, I should mention that I am presently doing a test with Alum floc and iron. Alum foc (or any floc) is not normally recommended at TFP due to sulphates, unrelability, and the potential to mess up your filter.

But, if you can vacuum to waste and have a unique situation, there are times it might turn out to be useful.

In my experimrpent, I took a 5 gal pail of raw well water with 2 ppm iron. I added 1/2 teaspoon of Leslie's Alum. The orange has flocced to the bottom and it hasn't even been 24 hours yet.

This ratio roughly represents what 12 lbs of Alum (this type only) would do in 10,000 gallons of pool water.

Tuesday, when my refills on iron test come in, I'll be able to report how many ppm were removed this way. I can already see that the water above the floc mass is crystal clear, so I'm optimistic.
    Very interested in your findings. I thought about a 1 micron, but was afraid it would clog quickly. I'm switching filters periodically and cleaning them with Iron Out. What if I add floc and then run through my DE filter? Would that catch it?

Last edited by ckk81; 06-06-2016 at 08:05 AM. Reason: addition

20. Back To Top    #20

Ckk, I just realized your in Kzoo and you're salt water.

While I'm cautiously optimistic that your mechanical filtering will reduce your iron load, I'm not as optimistic that you'll be able to avoid something like Jacks Purple...just that you won't need as much. Pool Chemicals, Hot Tub Chemicals and Supplies | Pool Geek carries it and reaches Mi locations overnight. Fingers crossed that you can just skip it...but just in case

Secondly, in your town, The Water Boy has a 12,000 gallon tanker for $499...decent price for size if you ever find you need to dilute. I have his number somewhere if you ever need it.

Lastly, is that liner floor Seabrook, and who did you get it through? I'm getting ready for a liner change up in GR and can't seem to get that border from my preferred vendor, but can get Seabrook borderless.
    Liner pattern is Modesto from GLI. http://www.glipoolproducts.com/assets/modesto_pp.gif

Last edited by ckk81; 06-06-2016 at 08:04 AM. Reason: add comment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast