Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to pool ownership

1. Back To Top    #1

New to pool ownership

Hi, moved into a house about a month ago and it has a pool. I am happy to have found this forum, I am taking to time read before asking a bunch of questions. I started looking for help because our salt water generator reads 0, when it used to read 1800. Pool water was tested yesterday at a local store and salt water amount was 2200. I am going to purchase the recommended TF100 test kit.

We've never had a pool before so it's a lot to learn, luckily the previous owner is helping with getting things going. But I'm still having issues getting the right levels.

Thanks for sharing all your knowledge

-bbp
    35k gallons, in ground, plaster, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus, Bioguard, Mineral Springs salt water, Centurion for Pac-Fab 1hp

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to pool ownership

Welcome!

Don't let that pool go green on you while you figure out the SWG! You can just add bleach by pouring it in front of the return. If you have any kind of test results, you can figure out how much. If not, let poolmath tell you how much bleach adds 3 ppm per day and add that per day.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, I've shocked it a couple times. The water is mostly clear. I'm going to try and attach a picture of the printout from yesterday's water test.
    35k gallons, in ground, plaster, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus, Bioguard, Mineral Springs salt water, Centurion for Pac-Fab 1hp

4. Back To Top    #4

That pool store printout won't cut it for day-to-day. FC is constantly dropping dues to sunlight and anything organic that falls in the pool. You have a giant pool, so 1.3 jugs of plain 8.25% bleach or the equivalent of stronger pool stuff should put you in a holding pattern with FC.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, I'll add that tonight.

6. Back To Top    #6

Forgot to ask, how often should I add the bleach and how long after can we go in the pool?

Thanks

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Bbp View Post
    Forgot to ask, how often should I add the bleach and how long after can we go in the pool?

Thanks
    Daily. That's probably why they installed the SWG -- to save the hassle. Fifteen minutes after pouring the bleach in front of a return should be plenty of wait. Less if you brush immediately afterwards to mix things up.

8. Back To Top    #8

When you say return do you mean the filter?

9. Back To Top    #9

When you say return do you mean the filter?
    Wherever the water shoots back into the pool. Just pour it in front and it will get diluted and spread. Watch for it. You'll see a yellowish cloud just expand away into nothingness.

10. Back To Top    #10

Great thanks

11. Back To Top    #11

Can you tell me if either of these pictures show the return? I don't feel air or water coming out of anywhere. I don't see any other holes. Thanks

12. Back To Top    #12

I see three returns. Two in the top picture and one just below the skimmer in the second.

If the pump is pumping, water has to be going back into the pool somewhere.

13. Back To Top    #13

I just asked the previous owner. There are cleaning jets on the bottom of the pool and that's where it returns.

14. Back To Top    #14

I just asked the previous owner. There are cleaning jets on the bottom of the pool and that's where it returns.
    There should be some kind of valve to direct water to the eyeball returns, or they wouldn't have bothered installing them.

But nevermind that -- you need to get some chlorine in that pool before it turns green. If you can't figure out the valves, just pour the bleach in and then use a brush to mix it up good. Pump on, so it spreads fast.

15. Back To Top    #15

I put in a bottle and a third in front of the pop ups that were up.