Filter Change

Apr 30, 2007
I would like to change my current filer (cartridge) to a sand filter. I am starting my 4th year with the current cartridges and they need to be replaced so I figured that now is as good a time as any to switch. The cleaning isn't so bad its just putting the filter back together is a PIA - came home one day and found I lost a couple thousand gallons of water cause the top of the filter wasn't positioned perfectly & this was 2 weeks after I cleaned the cartridges - never the less I want to switch to a sand filter
Here are the pools stats:

Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 240
Pentair Whisper Flow 1.5 HP - Single Speed
18,000 Gal Gunite Pool
Run the pump 10 hours /day

The current filter is rated for 90 GPM does the new filter have to meet this?
Current filter is 2" PVC any problem going to 1.5" connections on the new filter?
Any filter recommendations?

Thanks for any help you can provide

Yes, 90 GPM or higher is a good place to start. A 1.5 HP WhisperFlo can move a lot of water. A Pentair Triton II TR-100 is a good choice, though really sand filters have been around for so long that they are all fairly similar and you can't go wrong as long as you get one that is large enough.

If the connections are 1.5" that is alright. I think you will discover that if you get a filter designed for that flow rate that it will have 2" connections.

The 75 GPM model will probably work more or less. The flow rate is going to exceed 75 GPM, and so it won't filter as well as it could and you run a risk of it getting channelized. Moving up to the next larger size would be a much better choice in the long run.

A little impatient, J? :p

Jason has said ~ what I did to your post on PF :-D

Please don't get me wrong, I think it's great that you're looking in different places for advice to get your pool 'perfect', I just noticed that this was a very similar question to one I had answered an hour ago :lol:

"Upsizing the filter never hurts" :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.