Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help Balance Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Help Balance Pool

First, new to TFP and second year with my pool.
    I was using the pool store for levels, but recently purchased a Taylor K-2006 as they were not successful in getting my water crystal clear. Still has a slight cloudiness to it and they said it was my combine chlorine. After two rounds of them attempting to lower my combine chlorine and still not successful my Taylor test kit finally showed up.
    Current levels:
    Free Chlorine .6
    Combine Chlorine 4.0
    pH 7.2
    Total Alkalinity 130
    CYA 70
    Calcium Hardness 130

Now trying to figure out where to start.
    Vinyl Pool 32,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5HP pump, Pentair Sand Filter TA60, Pentair MasterTemp 400 Gas Heater, Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Help Balance Pool

Welcome to the forum.
    Now trying to figure out where to start.
    Start to read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. You must have a basic understanding of the chemistry in order to learn how to manage those numbers so you pool is/stays crystal clear.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP

Good job at getting a new test kit. If your water is cloudy you need to follow the SLAM process, links below for reading. The other question is could you have posted the CL backwards with FC 4 and CC .6 ? 4 is an awfully high number fro CC.

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

4. Back To Top    #4

First, my Combine Chlorine was typed incorrectly as it's currently 2.6. My apologies, but I have been running tests over this past week and referenced the wrong number.....need to start a new pad of paper.
    I have read the ABC's as well as familiarizing myself with the pool calculator.
    I guess my question on where to start is lowering CYA or slamming? Again, first time trying to get my numbers correct and don't want to cause me more pain down the road.
    To SLAM if I am understanding the pool math correctly I would have a Shock value of 28 which would be just under 11 gallons of bleach (assume FC increase of 2.6/gallon of bleach (8.25%)
    Vinyl Pool 32,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5HP pump, Pentair Sand Filter TA60, Pentair MasterTemp 400 Gas Heater, Taylor K-2006

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Looks like you are understanding. I think in my post above somehow I thought I read 90 CYA and not 70.

You are correct on the 28 for slam. If you are plugging you now and target numbers into pool math then what it tells you will get you to your target. Just make sure you put the correct % bleach or liquid chlorine you are using. But that sounds about right (I didn't plug all your numbers myself)
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

ta,

You don't mention how you chlorinate? SWG? Bleach? Tabs? That's what will influence the decision to drain CYA off or not.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School