Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trouble with getting pool open

1. Back To Top    #1

Trouble with getting pool open

Having lots of trouble getting water cleared up for season.
    Went to pool store and put in lots of chemicals which essentially didn't help.
    Ordered TF 100 test kit and found very high CH, CYA and FC.
    Drained about 1/3 of pool and replenished.
    Water is blue with dead algae on bottom which we vacuumed. Cloudy water, can't see drain
    Tried Ultrabrite last week twice which did not help.

Numbers have improved today.

PH 7.2
    FC 18
    CC 0
    TA 80
    CH 450
    CYA 90

Any suggestions appreciated!
    36,000 gallon, in ground, gunite, Triton II sand filter, Whisper flow 1HP pump, polaris sweep

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Trouble with getting pool open

Wow. Great job on getting a good test kit and knowing to drain do to high CYA. Welcome to TFP

to clear the water you'll need to follow the SLAM process

Shock
    Level
    And
    Maintain

So according to your test results your current chlorine is not adequate to be killing algae faster than its multiplying in your pool. With 90 CYA, you'd need to be at 35 FC. I would suggest draining some more to get that CYA lower if you can. It CAN be done with 90 CYA but that's a lot of bleach and a lot of test drops.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree. Unless you want to maintain such a high SLAM and daily target FC level, consider another partial water exchange. It will help in the long run. It's fantastic you have the TF-100 to understand and be in control.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks-I think draining more water is the best way to go in the long run. Any ideas on how much more to drain?
    Another 1/3?
    36,000 gallon, in ground, gunite, Triton II sand filter, Whisper flow 1HP pump, polaris sweep

5. Back To Top    #5

1/3 or a little over should put you in the right ballpark, just don't over do it, if you have been getting rain at all like we are on my side of the state and the ground is saturated you don't want to take a chance on the pool floating up out of the ground. Like this random picture from google

Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

Drained out another approx 8000 gallons
    Current numbers after replenishing water and a couple hours of running filter

PH 7.5
    FC 6.0
    CC 0.25
    TC 6.25
    TA 80
    CH 400
    CYA 55

Water is still cloudy and getting greenish
    Add bleach?? How much??

7. Back To Top    #7

Also, this may sound dumb, but I find the pool calculator confusing-the boxes-"goal" and "Not set up"
    Which numbers go where?

Am I supposed to come up with my own goal numbers?
    Can someone explain how to use it properly?

8. Back To Top    #8

I find the Pool Calc iPhone app easier to use.
    SLAM * Chlorine/CYA Chart * Pool Math * Pool School
    17.5k gal IG Fiberglass, Triton II TR60 Sand Filter, Jacuzzi Magum Force Pump 1.5 hp, 3/4 hp booster, Polaris 280, TF-100 Test Kit with Speed Stir

9. Back To Top    #9

On the calculator, make sure to enter you pool gallons at the top. From there, each row you enter your NOW number as currently tested, then your desired number in the TARGET field. On the FC row, make sure to manually enter the bleach percentage (weight). Near the bottom, update the 3 criteria (Troublefreepool.com, your pool type, and how you sanitize (bleach, SWG, etc). The calculator will help you with the rest.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks-I guess part of my confusion is coming from the pool calculator I am getting under "pool math" (above) doesn't say "now" and "target".
    It says "goal" and "not set up."

11. Back To Top    #11

On this? http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Top left next to the calculate button is Now and Target

Here is a tutorial on how to get it all set up.
    Pool School - PoolMath
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks so much! I think I understand that now!