Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question re attaching new pump to existing piping

1. Back To Top    #1

Question re attaching new pump to existing piping

hello tfp friends. well, i have a handyman who looked at my new pool pump from inyo (all in one motor, pump, filter) and he feels he can hook it up.. I could use a second or third opinion about something.. the length between the filter end of the new pump and the opening where the pipes come from the pool, where they will attach, is very short and has been cut and re connected a time or two.. This handyman says it is too short, or maybe too cut up for him to connect the pump to the pool pipe in a straight line of piping and he says he will need to do a curve of some kind.. I am concerned a curve instead of a straight line of piping right into the filter will affect the performance? I have a photo attached.. I'm not exactly sure why he can't do a straight line,, what do you all think? thanks in advance. )** i just tried to upload a photo,, i think i did it correctly, not sure though
    Attached Images Attached Images
    big blue skies kansas

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question re attaching new pump to existing piping

That three way valve is dual-diameter. One size pipe fits inside, as it is now, and the next size up fits the outside. So saw if off flush and install a coupler on the three way and then either reduce it back to that size or leave it large all the way into the pump.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

ok, thanks, I'll tell the handyman this., or maybe find a real plumber.
    big blue skies kansas

4. Back To Top    #4

If the handyman did not know this, he shouldn't be doing the work.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

that's what i was kind of thinking.. i've just been searching out plumbers.. thanks.
    big blue skies kansas