Saltwater system still need a pump?

Jun 4, 2016
FL
Hey everyone. I am a TOTAL newbie to owning a pool or knowing anything about them.
We decided to start looking into pools and as ive googled around, ive figured out that apparently sand filter pumps are the best for total chlorine pools, but a lot of people love saltwater pools even better. They sound like lower maintenance and less expensive. We chose an Intex pool 18' wide and 52" deep with a sand filter but now ive decided I want a saltwater system. Do I still need a pump/filter or does the saltwater system do all that? thanks!

A salt water chlorine generator is a separate piece of equipment from a pump and a filter which are also separate. A salt pool IS a chlorine pool btw and a sand filter could care less! Welcome.

Hello, Pool School - Pool School is your friend.
The basics: Chlorine (liquid (in the form of bleach) or gas (formed in a SWCG)) kills the nasties. The filter catches the dead nasties. The pump moves the water with the dead nasties to the filter, the filter catches the dead nasties, clean water is returned to the pool, and repeat.

How you add chlorine is pour it in, or generate it in a SWCG (Salt Water Chlorine Generator).

ALWAYS maintain a proper Chlorine/CYA level. It's best to run your chlorine level a little high then low.
Knowledge is power, too little knowledge is dangerous... :)

You just install the SWG after the pump and return the water to the pool simple and effective
68d9cd2c16644e658b785e9d66f53a00.jpg

Starting day 5/25/2015 INTEX AGP 24'x12'x54" 8400 gal, with salt and borax, INTEX 16"sand filter, WM Hayward Skimmer, Intex SWG CG-28669, 1 1/2" hard plumbed PVC, Lil' Shark Vacuum With Leaf Canister, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.