Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacuuming out the last few inches of water & GUNK...

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacuuming out the last few inches of water & GUNK...

I have a 24' above ground pool. We drained it this winter due to some problems we were having. I drained it with a gravity syphon and it got all but about 6" from the bottom.
    My plan was to just hook up the vacuum hose to my pool pump & just waste out the remainder before cleaning & refilling this spring. Well, spring turned to summer faster than I wanted & here I am with 6" of gunk remaining in my pool.
    My problem is that I can't get the vacuum to catch prime. I've filled the pump with water, filled the hoses with water, but I still can't get it to catch.

Thanks in advance for your help...

2. Back To Top    #2
    Birmingham, Alabama

Re: Vacuuming out the last few inches of water & GUNK...

Is this an Intex pool? If it's a permanent steel wall above ground, you shouldn't drain the water fully unless you plan on replacing the liner. The liner loses its elasticity after filling and if you drain it, it can shrink.
    Above Ground 30' by 54" 22,600
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter w/ 1.5HP Dual Speed Hayward Powerflo Matrix Pump
    TF100 Test Kit
    BBB ALL the way!
    Questions about pool care? Visit Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Sounds like it's time for the bucket brigade. Or a wet-n-dry shop vac, five gallons at a time.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Oakbank, Canada

I use a utility pump, sucks it down to about 1/4", then use a plastic scoop I made out a out of a washer fluid bottle for the rest. I scoop the water up and into a 5 gallon pail. Then I use some old towels to finish up, wring them out over the side.
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.