Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High Chlorine Demand - SLAMing since May 22nd

1. Back To Top    #1

High Chlorine Demand - SLAMing since May 22nd

I have been SLAMing my pool since May 22nd. I did have a two day period where my filter was off. I was waiting for a new clamp. To maintain the SLAM, I have had to add at least 2 gallons of bleach each day. Three of the days, I had to add 4 gallons. I seem to be losing about 5 ppm each day, but I've had three days where I lost 10 ppm. At one point, I thought I was actually done SLAMing (1.5ppm overnight loss). That must have been a fluke, and I'm glad that I continued SLAMing. Is there a reason that I'm losing so much chlorine? How long does a SLAM typically take? My water looks crystal clear, but I assume there is some underlying algae.

This is my current water chemistry: 45 CYA, 7.6 PH, 260 CH, 60 TA

I have a SWG, but I have it turned off for now.
    Inground Pool - 35,000 gallons - SWG (Nature2 - FUSIONSOFT1400) - Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High Chlorine Demand - SLAMing since May 22nd

You don't mention a FC or CC numbers. Need these levels, please post as

FC
    CC
    pH
    CYA
    19300 gal, AG vinyl, 1 HP Pentair Dynamo two stage pump, 5 yr old Hayward Vari-Flo sand filter, pool 14 yrs old, well water, testing with Taylor K2006

3. Back To Top    #3

I had this problem as well. Did you pull your ladder and give it a good scrub down? I used a power washer on mine, especially underneath. You might try pulling the ladder and seeing how your chlorine does overnight without. I've heard that if that doesn't work, sometimes something gets in behind the pool light as well. My issue was the ladder, so I didn't have to deal with that. Keep it up. It is so worth it. This is my thread from just this season getting the pool up and running: Lot of work to do...

In fact, that thread tracks my whole SLAM from start to finish, which by the way, started towards the middle of April and finished around May 6th or 7th.
    25,000 gallon vinyl pool, Hayward sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

I think your CYA may be to low for your SWG, mine is 70 and I average 1.5 -2ppm chlorine a day

10000 gallon with spa plaster with blue quartz.
    E-Command 4 with remote
    Goldline Aquarite
    11/2hp filter pump
    11/2hp waterfall pump
    Hayward gas heater
    Hayward fibre optic lighting

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor6408 View Post
    I had this problem as well. Did you pull your ladder and give it a good scrub down? I used a power washer on mine, especially underneath. You might try pulling the ladder and seeing how your chlorine does overnight without. I've heard that if that doesn't work, sometimes something gets in behind the pool light as well. My issue was the ladder, so I didn't have to deal with that. Keep it up. It is so worth it. This is my thread from just this season getting the pool up and running: Lot of work to do...

In fact, that thread tracks my whole SLAM from start to finish, which by the way, started towards the middle of April and finished around May 6th or 7th.
    I actually don't have a pool ladder, but I'm curious about the pool light. When I first opened the pool, it looked like there was algae around it. I wonder if there is still some there, and maybe that's what's using the chlorine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Britishcarper View Post
    I think your CYA may be to low for your SWG, mine is 70 and I average 1.5 -2ppm chlorine a day

10000 gallon with spa plaster with blue quartz.
    E-Command 4 with remote
    Goldline Aquarite
    11/2hp filter pump
    11/2hp waterfall pump
    Hayward gas heater
    Hayward fibre optic lighting
    I don't have the SWG on yet. That's why I have the CYA so low. I thought it would be easier to SLAM, since I wouldn't require as much chlorine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kschmidt1 View Post
    You don't mention a FC or CC numbers. Need these levels, please post as

FC
    CC
    pH
    CYA
    FC - 19-20 (I lose 5-10ppm per day)
    CC - 0 (was at 0.5 but now none detected)
    pH - 7.6
    CYA - 45
    Inground Pool - 35,000 gallons - SWG (Nature2 - FUSIONSOFT1400) - Cartridge Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

[QUOTE=chris87;1045045]I actually don't have a pool ladder, but I'm curious about the pool light. When I first opened the pool, it looked like there was algae around it. I wonder if there is still some there, and maybe that's what's using the chlorine.

- - - Updated - - -

One other note, I found a lot of debris hiding in the nooks and crannies of my skimmer. Get in there with a brush and make sure you are getting around the opening and the like. Inside the skimmer area as well. It doesn't take much to really chomp up chlorine, given what little I took off my ladder.
    25,000 gallon vinyl pool, Hayward sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Hi

That does seem like high chlorine demand for "crystal clear" water. I'd check that light as well but I'll tell you, after getting my water clear, I found algae in about every crack and crevice in the pool you could imagine. Like inside the skimmer box hiding behind a lip in the frame......behind skimmer box plates and behind light plates (frames?). I broke down and put the kids to work with a plastic kitchen brush on all those areas that couldn't get to so easily with a pool brush on a pole.

I've also seem threads here where someone took a light out to find a TON of algae.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Britishcarper View Post
    Thanks for jumping in to help. However, we do not recommend raising CYA during a SLAM because of the additional bleach it would require. Once the SLAM is complete your advice is good.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach