New to forum

wmak

Jun 4, 2016
Carrollton, KY
Hey, all. I have had a vinyl pool for many years, but last season it went bad mid season. I have read some of the advice here, and am dealing with clouding and algae. I checked the CYA, and it's around 90, but the FC and PH are correct, as is the Alkalinity. Any advice would be helpful, I'm pretty discouraged at the moment.

Hi, can you tell us the test results for FC, pH and CH are? Knowing the exact values helps us to troubleshoot the problem. Just saying they are correct doesn't give us enough information to work with.

You're gonna need one of our recommended test kits in Pool School to win the battle most effectively and cost efficiently. TF100.

If your FC was "correct" for your CYA and maintained that way---you wouldn't have algae.

So, I went out and re tested, and I got a pale reading on the PH, lower than 7.6, maybe 7.5? The fFC was off the chart, I had added granulated a few hours before. the CH never turned blue, but it cleared up at 4, 200 according to the kit. TA was 210 and CYA 90 I include pic of the pool under the test kit. Sorry about the sideways image, I can't find the edit setting.

IMG_2683.jpg

Welcome to TFP!

Chlorine level is set based on CYA level and the Chlorine CYA Chart. To keep the pool sanitary and algae free the FC must remain above minimum at all times. The problem is that as you add dichlor and trichlor to the pool to chlorinate it also adds CYA which then requires higher and higher levels of chlorine. It is a Pool Store circle.

Do a little reading here, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
And then here, Pool School - Getting Started