Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ugly Ugly Pool Stains

1. Back To Top    #1

Ugly Ugly Pool Stains

Awesome site, and thanks to those who come here to provide help. Much appreciated.

Last year I was in a rush to close the pool. Freezing temps were coming and I was preparing for some travel. I was in the middle of a algae problem so I shocked covered it....figured I would deal with it this spring.

I opened to a green swamp two weeks ago. I immediately went to work on it and finally got it cleared up...problem is that I can get the algae stains to come off. I have been at shock levels for two weeks and it is barely touching the stains. I wont say slam levels because my test kit doesn't read that high, i'm much higher than 12 for sure. TF-100 kit will be here Wednesday.

At this rate, it might be Fall before I get this cleaned up. Any thoughts on a quicker way to remove the stains other than drain and acid wash?

As I said before, the TF-100 kit will be here Wednesday so I don't have all the readings. I know my FC is somewhere above 12.

Thanks
    Schuter
    Attached Images Attached Images
    19500 Gal, IG, plaster, Sand Filter, Hayward 1HP Pump, Hayward T-15 SWG, Fill from well

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ugly Ugly Pool Stains

I think it's gonna be easier to wait until AFTER you pass all 3 criteria for the SLAM process and then deal with the stains. Holding FC high enough and long enough for the SLAM may take care of a lot of it. Brush, brush, brush. Welcome.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Acid wash is a last resort and is fairly destructive and will shorten the life of your plaster. There are other things to try first.

Read this
    Diagnosing Pool Plaster Problems
    and this
    Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains

I agree that waiting until after the SLAM is best.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

The TF-100 arrived today.

FC - 15
    TC - 15
    PH - 7.8
    TA - 180
    CH - 175
    CYA - 70

I have not added chlorine since 6-3-16. I reduced the SWG down to 50% and have reduced the pump run time down 6 hours per day while I waited for the TF-100 to arrive. Since its been at least four days and the TC is still the same as the FC, should I still go through the SLAM process? Any other numbers stand out?

Thanks
    Andy
    19500 Gal, IG, plaster, Sand Filter, Hayward 1HP Pump, Hayward T-15 SWG, Fill from well

5. Back To Top    #5

The PH test isn't valid when FC is above 10 ppm. TA is very high, that combined with rising PH can lead to scaling.

The way to determine if you need to SLAM is to perform the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

You're going to have to keep your FC elevated a bit and brush your pool daily to make a dent in that organicically stained pool. This year, take the time to close the pool properly and you won't have to look at that ugly staining next year.

Good luck!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

I've had the FC extremely for at least several weeks. The pool started green and has been crystal clear for about 10 days, with the FC levels still high. I've brushed daily, even with a stainless steel brush with no change to the stains. When I clean the pool cleaner it is almost like green sand that is coming out of it. I've spent lots of $$$ on chlorine and after looking back at pictures from the beginning I can say the stains haven't changed a bit. I checked the FC tonight and its at 12.5. See what it is in the morning. I would think it is going to drop a little with the amount of pollen we have in the air. Everything is yellow and you can see a layer floating on the surface of the pool. It might be time to call someone in on this...

8. Back To Top    #8

Have you done the vitamin c test?

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Rcckks96 View Post
    Have you done the vitamin c test?
    Yes, negative results. I guess I should go buy a puck and try that test... I'm about 95% sure its from the algae issue I was dealing with late last season.

10. Back To Top    #10

Shutter, you fill from well. There's a chance you have a combo stain. Eg metal plug organics and maybe a bit of scale. They're tougher to remove, especially iron scale stains. Do you have any dry acid to try in a sock? If so, try that for a while and THEN try vit c again on the same area.

Or see if MA helps reduce...but be careful handling. Some crazy folks will soak a sponge in MA in a bowl, turn upsidedown in water and et that sit on a stain -- wear gloves and hold your breath if you do this please. Or get either the spot removal tool or underwater MA acid wash tool to try...would be cheaper then a drain/acid wash:

Amazon.com: Purity Pool UAW Underwater Acid Wash Set: Patio, Lawn Garden

Amazon.com: Purity Pool OS Out Spot Stain Remover, Model: OS , Home Personal Care

If you do THAT treatment and you still have organics, eg tannin, left over, sunlight, time and chlorine will fade same IME. But ya gotta make sure the sunlight and chlorine can get to the stains
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

11. Back To Top    #11

Ok, so I drained the hot tub and took some close up of the stains. I think it might be scale that is green from the algae...if that makes any sense???? Where the green is spotty it is as rough as 80 grit sandpaper. It gets a little smoother where the stains are more dense but you can tell its only because the surface is covered with the green at a greater uniformity. Its very hard, when I scrape it off it feels like green sand. Where the green is very light when you run your finger over it it feels like grains of sand stuck on the surface of the plaster.

I tested a spot with MA and it removed it...took about some time but the surface wasn't real dry either.
    20160611_160755.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

20160611_161944.jpg

12. Back To Top    #12

Given your spot test, I would be inclined to try the purity underwater acid kit if you can locate one. That way you could do a treatment to reduce the scale, then see if light/FC lightens what's left, or if vit c works, or if simply a second treatment works.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains