Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cleaning DE filter cartridge

1. Back To Top    #1

Cleaning DE filter cartridge

With the help of this forum my pool water is looking (and testing) GREAT.
    I am tackling my filter today. Replacing a corroding gauge with TFT version, new o-ring, and want to clean cartridge better now that I have filtered a swamp through it...
    What chemicals/cleaners, if any, should I use?
    Have had a hard time finding any help by searching.
    - 30,000 gallon (16'x40' - 10' at deep end) gunite
    - Sta-Rite DE 60 sq/ft filter
    - AquaCal Heatpump (broken...)
    - new to pools and 110% clueless!

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Diego, CA

Re: Cleaning DE filter cartridge

1. Strong strady blast of water, followed by
    2. Mixing up a TSP solution; or powered dishwasher detergetnt (w/ dawn), both of which will break up grease/oils
    3. As a final step, a 1:4 solution of muriatic acid to water if you have any calcium buildup left on the grids.
    Pool: 13k gal. in-ground; Stonescape Mini Pebble - Tropics Blue; Connected Spa - dual spill-over; Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG; AquaLogic PS-4 Automation; Sta-Rite DE Filter; Sta-Rite Max-e-Therm 400k BTU pool heater; Intellifo 2-VST Pump; Stenner 45mp2(25psi/10gpd) acid injection; Bulbwizard color LED pool lights; Poolvergnuegen 2 wheel side suction cleaner; FAFCO rooftop solar. TF-100 w/ speed stir.

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Cleaning DE filter cartridge

DE Filter Cleaning Tutorial should answer those questions.

If the filters look greasy, TSP will get rid of it. If they feel crunchy, they might be calcified and need an acid bath.

I've never used anything more than a jest stream of water.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!