Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plumbing Question - Heater Bypass

1. Back To Top    #1

Plumbing Question - Heater Bypass

Hi Guys, I was re-plumbing my heater. As I was curious , I shut off the valve labeled Heater Bypass. I turned on the pump and water still flowed through the plumbing at the heater. I got a gusher right in the chest.

Am I missing something. What is the valve supposed to do...

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plumbing Question - Heater Bypass

The bypass may not prevent water going through the heater but just bypass some around it. But where did the gusher occur? That should not happen.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Mark, while I had the "out" plumbing off the heater, I ran the pump with the heater bypass valve closed and water still gushed out of the "out" pipe at heater. Also, I don't understand, at the filter, there is a union so water coming out of the filter travels in two directions.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by garywi View Post
    Hi Mark, while I had the "out" plumbing off the heater, I ran the pump with the heater bypass valve closed and water still gushed out of the "out" pipe at heater.
    Ok, that makes sense. I think it is operating as intended. It is not for heater isolation but simply to reduce head loss.

Also, I don't understand, at the filter, there is a union so water coming out of the filter travels in two directions.
    Again, that is for the heater bypass. One direction goes into the heater and the other ties in past the heater.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Mark! Ok, still, what is the purpose of this valve, heater bypass.

6. Back To Top    #6

I ask because I am still learning about flow and hydraulics. My heater is currently hitting the high limit temp and shutting off. Wondering if this valve setting has anything to do with it...

7. Back To Top    #7

Solved heater high limit error. Turning heater bypass valve half way closed, which I assume directly more water through the heater. I fixed my flow problem. Yea!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks Mark! Ok, still, what is the purpose of this valve, heater bypass.
    Some heaters require a bypass if flow rates are too high because they don't have a built in bypass. But most modern heaters have built-in bypasses.

If the filter pressure does not change much, you might just leave that valve closed. Too little water through the heater could stress the heat exchanger over time. But check the heater manual to see if it requires a bypass.
    Mark

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks Mark. I checked and my Laars has an internal bypass, but I never understood the external manual bypass valve until today. I am thrilled to understand now, why my heater was overheating and thrilled I don't need any repairs. I wish the manual had this simple step in the troubleshooting guide.

10. Back To Top    #10

testing signature
    10,000 gallon IG pebble pool, 1,200 gallon raised spa, built 2006, Hayward Mega Plus 700 cartridge filter, Hayward Northstar SP4015NS 1.5hp pump, Hayward Super II 2.5hp spa pump w/blower, Jandy AquaLink RS, SpaLink RS controller, A&A Quik Leveler, Quik Clean In-floor cleaning/leaf vac, Laars LX 400 heater, Fiberstars 6004 fiber optic light. Massive delamination of ShastaDeck cool decking.