Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to forum

1. Back To Top    #1
    Carrollton, KY

New to forum

I just registered, found this forum while looking to get rid of algae. I checked the CYA, and it's 90. How much water do I have to let out to reduce this? The algae came back after I put on the solar cover, the FC and PH are in the correct range, the Alkalinity is around 18 ppm. Thanks in advance fro any help.

2. Back To Top    #2
    DFW, Texas

Re: New to forum

Welcome to TFP!

Quote Originally Posted by wmak
    ...the FC and PH are in the correct range, the Alkalinity is around 18 ppm.
    What are you using to test the pool water with? A few things seem odd about your test results. An Alkalinity of 18 seems way off and nigh impossible. Also, stating that FC and pH "are in the correct range" is a bit vague. If the "correct range" is based on traditional pool store criteria, these parameters may, in fact, not be in the correct range for your pool. As for the CYA level, I'm a bit suspect of the 90 ppm reading until I know what you are using to test with. I would hate to have you unnecessarily drain a significant amount of your pool water until it is confirmed that it is absolutely necessary. Please let us know what you are testing with and we can go from there.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3
    East Texas

Re: New to forum

Welcome. Please fill out the signature line in your profile and list your pool type/size and equipment to keep from having to repeat it and get better help.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!