Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New multi port valve?

1. Back To Top    #1

New multi port valve?

Replacing my multi port valve and laterals......sand also for that matter. I was getting sand in pool but that's n my question.

My question is my new multi port valve came in and it needs 1 1/2" pipe. My old one is 2" pipe. Is that a problem? Can I just buy a fitting to go 1 1/2" to 2" without any issues?
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New multi port valve?

Most multiports are designed to allow the fitting of 2 sizes. They either slip inside 2" or outside 1.5" or slip inside 2.5" or outside 2"... etc. If you could link the specific multiport that you purchased, that would help.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights

4. Back To Top    #4

This MPV is designed to use 1.5" threaded fittings for attachment. What you'll need to use to connect existing 2" PVC to the multiport is a 2" to 1.5" threaded adapter. Probably 3 of them for each of the lines, unless you do a 1.5" waste line, then just a 1.5" x 1.5" threaded adapter for that.

You should be able to find one like this at a hardware store, Home Depot, Lowes... etc. http://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/436...e-adapter.html
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok thanks.... It was my fault I should have told the online salesperson it was for a 2 " hook up. Extra $30 for stick of 2" n 1 1/2" pipe, glue n fittings. Oh well

6. Back To Top    #6

no big deal..get the 1 1/2" to 2 inch pvc adaptor, and you'll be good to go. not a big deal at all.
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Well it's done..... Almost. I hate after everything is glued together used Teflon tape in threads and all. The male adaptor threads into multi port is leaking. Not sure what to do. Even one of the unions is leaking.

Problem is Taking it apart. Spinning the pipe will be a problem even if I disconnect it at the Union. I hate plumbing

8. Back To Top    #8

then you probably didn't use enough wraps of teflon tape on the male threads...it should screw in snuggly..and DON'T put tape on the first 2-3 threads. if a solvent weld union is leaking, you'll have to redo it..just take your time, use the primer correctly and the cement and you should be good.
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

9. Back To Top    #9

If the union is leaking make sure the o-ring is seated correctly and that you do not over-tighten it. Silicon pool lube on the o-ring helps to get a good seal as well. 3 rounds of teflon tape should do it, also be sure you do not over-tighten when putting it together.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!